Matt
Boston

Austin

Top 4 restaurants with outdoor seating in Austin?

Its been a long, cold winter in New England, so I want to be outside as much as possible when I go to Austin this summer. Here’s what I’m looking for:

• More concerned with quality of food than price
• Prefer Tex-Mex, but open to other kinds of food
• Can be anywhere in the city if the food is good
• Must have outdoor dining

Jose from Austin (Texas)

One place to consider is Hula Hut which is low-medium priced tex-mex (some Polynesian fusion) that sits right on the lake and has a pretty large outdoor patio and bar. Pretty yummy and great for visitors. Expect a wait for seating during prime hours though!

1. Hula Hut (restaurant)

Roger from San Marcos (Texas)

"The Ditch" El Arroyo is a good one, so is Matt's Famous El Rancho ( since 1957) outside coffee Mozarts

1. El Arroyo (restaurant)
  2. Matt's Famous El Rancho (restaurant)

Bridge from San Francisco
  • Moonshine Patio Bar & Grill is one of my favorites. The food is great and the ambiance is also nice, with exposed brick on the patio. It's more on the dinner for 2 -4 side. It's less tex-mex and more American/Southern Fusion.

• Trudy's (There are several locations) is great for a bigger group. It's on the tex-mex lines and is known for the margaritas.

• El Naranjo has great reviews for "upscale mexican". (Note: I haven't been.) It's on the new-ishly trendy Rainey Street in East Austin.

Really, you can't go wrong if you want outdoor seating. Nearly everywhere has it. 

1. Moonshine Patio Bar & Grill (restaurant)
  2. Trudy's (restaurant)
  3. El Naranjo (restaurant)

Enrique from Philadelphia

The Salt Lick is famed for its BBQ, it has an open pit you can look into when they're cooking, and a large outdoor seating area. 

Downtown, Second Bar and Kitchen has fantastic food in a convenient location with a terrace to enjoy the sweltering heat. 

Easy Tiger has a great outdoor space and a great selection of beers, and some food. 

Finally, there are dozens of food trucks in East Austin, most of them with outstanding food. A simple Google search will do the trick. 

1. The Salt Lick (restaurant)
  2. Second Bar and Kitchen (restaurant)
  3. Easy Tiger (attraction)

John from Sofia, Bulgaria

I am an Austinite and Hula Hut and The Oasis on Lake Travis are the two places I always take out of town guests and the best spots in my opinion.

1. Hula Hut (restaurant)
  2. The Oasis on Lake Travis (restaurant)

rich from Athens, GA

Ok, So I don't remember it having outdoor seating but the Roaring Fork had the best mac and cheese I've ever had and that's a high bar.

1. Roaring Fork (attraction)

Aaron from Portland

I would recommend Banger's Sausage House & Beer Garden - it's not TexMex, but it has your other requirements and spades. It's also in a cool part of town.

And, luckily, a lot of Austin places have a good patio. I'm sure other will have great Tex Mex recommendations for you.

Not to mention that have a ton of beer on tap. Good luck!

1. Banger's Sausage House & Beer Garden (attraction)

Rockie from Atlanta

Go to La Condesa downtown.  They have outdoor seating, incredible food, and an exquisite aesthetic.

1. La Condesa (restaurant)