Kristen
Seattle, Washington

Austin

B&B, Vacation Rental or Hotel Recommendations under $150/night?

My husband and I love staying in places that have character. We're planning to head to Austin in late October for a week and would love to stay in a place our own - or in a nice hotel. 

• Style: Prefer B&Bs, Boutique Hotels, AirBnB/VRBO/HomeAway
  • Budget: Under $150
  • Length/Season: Last week of October thru the first week of November
  • Enjoy walking and being close to public transportation

Eileen from Austin (Texas)

Your best option is a short term rental - Austin hotels are expensive. HomeAway/VRBO; AirBnB; Flipkey; and TurnKey all have rentals in Austin. Some owners cross post but check all four to get the best options. (I don't use Craigslist just because I like having reviews.)

Before booking, create your must see and do list to target the right neighborhood for your stay. Look at the available rentals then check your short list against transport options - Car2Go, ZipCar, Austin B-Cycle, CapMetro (buses and 1 light rail), plus taxis/Uber/Lyft (the latter two options may be legal by the time you arrive). RideScout is a great way to see multiple options all together in one list with estimated costs. A few blocks can make a big difference on the convenience factor of getting around.

My favorite  neighborhoods are Downtown Austin, West End/Market (6th & Lamar), South Congress, South Lamar (lots of construction tho), Hyde Park, and some areas of East Austin. Stay within the core of the city if you like walking and public transit. I usually choose the neighborhood based on what activities I have planned so I can bike or walk most of the time.

1. Downtown Austin (neighborhood)
  2. West End (neighborhood)
  3. South Congress (neighborhood)
  4. South Lamar (neighborhood)
  5. Hyde Park (neighborhood)
  6. East Austin (neighborhood)

louanne from Ohio

I loved the above answers, but don't neglect NW Austin either... and the North/South bus service is pretty good... There are so many things to suggest but a few are The Blanton Museum of Art  and the Harry Ransom Center both @ the university of Texas campus... the Ransom center is now having exhibitition programs about Gone with the Wind... Take your bathing suit and go Swimming @ Barton Springs. and oh  yes, another must is Esther's Follies @ Sixth street.

1. Blanton Museum of Art (attraction)
  2. Harry Ransom Center (attraction)
  3. Barton Springs (attraction)
  4. Esther's Follies (attraction)