Karen
Toronto

Austin, San Antonio, Hill Country

Austin/ San Antonio/ HIll Country tips for December?

We're going to be in Austin from December 17-28, and are interested in activities that locals (or experts in the area) would recommend during that time. I know it's not very warm, but it's still warmer than Canada! So, hikes, outdoor activities etc are on the table. Also, if anyone can recommend an indoor pool near the 78704 area code (South Congress/ Travis Heights) it would be greatly appreciated. 

THANKS!

Roger from San Marcos (Texas)

Zilker Park , Trail of lights -Austin, also The San Antonio River Walk  & shopping , New Braunfels have activities ( down I 35)

1. Zilker Park (attraction)
  2. The San Antonio River Walk (attraction)
  3. New Braunfels (city)

Don from Austin (Texas)

I will add the Balcones Canyonlands Wildlife Refuge http://www.fws.gov/refuge/balcones_canyonlands/ and Enchanted Rock http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/enchanted-rock . Indoor pools can be a bit hard to come by in Austin but the Town Lake YMCA has one (it's in the 04). Being a Canadian, you might not think that swimming at Barton Springs is too cold either. It's a constant 68dF and is also in the 04! https://austintexas.gov/department/barton-springs-pool

Brittany from Costa Mesa

Hello! 

Here are links to some places that might interest you for hiking. Texas weather is so sporadic, that it very well may be 75 and sunny during your hike!  If not, I have a few indoor activity things I can link as well. :) 

Bull Creek - a great hike if you are looking for something easy. There is not a lot of congestion on this trail. Many pretty waterfalls along the path, and at the south end there is a lagoon with tons of cute little turtles. 

Austin 360 Bridge Overlook - My husband and I lived right next door to this spot and would grab a few beers and watch the sunset. It's truly beautiful and you can see the city in the distance. 

Hamilton Pool - This is about 45 minutes outside of Austin, but the drive is pleasant. Hamilton is a staple must see for Austin, and Texas in general. 

Twin Falls- Another beautiful spot to hike. Address: S Mopac Expy, Austin, TX 78746

For Beers: Flying Saucer

For Burgers: Hopdoddy 

Coffee: Jo's Hot Coffee Good Food ... don't forget to get your picture taken by the infamous " I love you so much" graffiti! 

If you are wanting to travel to San Antonio, the river walk has TONS of great places and activities. Many great places to eat as well. I recommend The Guenther House 

1. Bull Creek (attraction)
  2. Austin 360 Bridge Overlook (attraction)
  3. Hamilton Pool (attraction)
  4. Twin Falls (attraction)
  5. Flying Saucer (attraction)
  6. Hopdoddy (restaurant)
  7. Jo's Hot Coffee Good Food (restaurant)
  8. The Guenther House (restaurant)

Ralph

Definitely take in the Trail of Lights at Zilker Park. You can also enjoy the 10 mile Hike and Bike Trail that loops around Lady Bird Lake in the hear of downtown. If you are really hearty (being that you are from Canada :)), take a dip in the  Baron Springs Pool (outdoor in Zilker Park and a year round 68 degrees). It has been unseasonably warm this week and may still be the week you are going to be here. Others ideas - take in the sunset from Mount Bonnell (highest spot in Austin) or a long hike on the Barton Creek Greenbelt. Have fun and enjoy Austin!

1. Zilker Park (attraction)
  2. Lady Bird Lake (attraction)
  3. Mount Bonnell (attraction)
  4. Barton Creek Greenbelt (attraction)