Katie from Los Angeles asked

What's the best neighborhood in Auckland for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Auckland and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Auckland is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Auckland (New Zealand)

Lee from Masterton, New Zealand
Anywhere in the Auckland CBD will be perfectly fine. From there you can explore Auckland easily.
Ponsonby is worth a visit for brunch.

1. Auckland CBD (sublocality level 1)
  2. Ponsonby (attraction)
Rhonda

Stay in Devonport. From there you can catch a ferry to the city or Waiheke Island. Devonport has great walks around the waterfront. You will need to bus/taxi to Takapuna for more shops.

1. Devonport (attraction)
  2. Waiheke Island (attraction)
  3. Takapuna (city)
Lisa from Christchurch, New Zealand

I suggest staying in a hotel in the Viaduct Harbour Avenue area (waterfront) e.g. Hotel The Sebel Auckland Viaduct HarbourHotel Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour.  You are close to restaurants, bars, ferries/boat trips, and shops.  If you are looking for something that is less expensive and an apartment, consider the Adina Apartments which is in the Britomart Pl area.  It is near the Viaduct so still near shops, restaurants, ferries but is an extra 10 min walk. 

Venita from Napier
As Lee said, anywhere in Auckland CBD would be the easiest option and best for a base. I'm not sure of your budget but my fav spot to stay in the city is Hotel DeBrett, it has gorgeous decor and an awesome cocktail bar too. Check out Britomart area for great dining (super quick walk from De Brett), Ponsonby is a great night spot and awesome shopping, a more boho feel than central Auckland. Ponsonby central for food is the one place I cant not go when I'm up there. The City Works Depot in the CBD is also worth a visit.

1. Auckland CBD (sublocality level 1)
  2. Hotel DeBrett (hotel)
  3. Britomart (attraction)
  4. Ponsonby (attraction)
  5. City Works Depot (attraction)
Amanda from Poway, California

Check out the Hostels! Full of travelers, your age, and looking for friends to go out with usually too. Nomads is awesome, there's also a bunch right in the heart of the city to check out too. 

I stayed in the Parnell area - it was exactly the right distance from all the action. Close enough to be convenient, far enough to not be a pain.

1. Parnell (attraction)
Mike from Nelson, New Zealand
Entirely dependent on budget but I would recommend the Hotel The Sebel Auckland Viaduct Harbour down in the Viaduct, in the heart of the bulk of restaurants & bars as well as super yachts with great access to public transport

Grace from Auckland, New Zealand

For me as a local, the hotels are pretty far removed from an authentic experience. I recommend the Takapuna Beach Holiday Park, which has campsites but also motel units, cabins and fixed-site caravans, all right by the ancient lava shoreline. Note that this is not in the centre of Auckland city but you can easily get there by bus in under 15 minutes. Auckland is so much more than its centre! Takapuna and the surrounding area has plenty to offer as well, and the Holiday Park is within walking distance to lots of restaurants, shopping and entertainment.

Максим

The best way if you try to find any cheaper hotel around CBD