Isabele
Madrid

Auckland

I'm going to Auckland and I'd like to know if it's easy to travel from there to other cities, and what's the best places to visit in New Zealand to beautiful view and adventure. Tks!

I wanna visit different cities in New Zealand going from Auckland in a weekend.

Lisa from Wellington

Wellington is a fantastic city with plenty of options. 

For scenic spots to photograph I cannot recommed coming along a street in the Central Business District called Cuba Street enough. 
It's filled with old buildings, new buildings, the   The Bucket Fountain and is always a great spot to people watch. There's also a plethora of cafes to stop and have food, drinks and again people watch. (Everything from take away burgers, to pizza, coffee shops, sit down dining establishments, vegetarian options... the choices are endless!)

It's also nice and gentle for elder members of the community to just have a stroll along!  Most of the city itself is relatively flat. 
There are also lots of car parking buildings around - which offer cheap parking from a few hours (perfect for when you're strolling on Cuba street!) to overnight which is something like $14 for the 10 hours. (Cheap compaired to on-street parking). 

I also recommend   Te Papa Tongarewa - Museum Of New Zealand it's a fantastic museum. It has a lot to keep everyone entertained from kids to seniors. There's a lot of NZ History... and everything from Fashion to Science, and Geology!  Even as a local, I can spend hours in there wandering around, learning new things. Some of their exhibits do have a charge (there's one gallery area which is always a 'pay to view' area). But the rest of it is free. It has great disability access too - lots of lifts and I think they let people borrow wheelchairs from down in the foyer! 

Another spot I enjoy, for photography and the views is to head to the look out at  Mount Victoria Lookout (Look here for more info: 

http://www.wellingtonnz.com/sights-activities/film-locations/mount-victoria-lookout ) has amazing views over the city. You can see the suburbs too from the Hutt areas to Karori, Brooklyn, the airport... the views go forever! 

The Ferry Terminal is easy to find as well, it's not far from the Wellington Train Station! The  Wellington Railway Station

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_Railway_Station is the largest brick building in the southern hemisphere. Right next door (and across the road) on Bunny Street is a large wooden building called the 'Victoria University Law School'. It is the largest wooden building in the Southern Hemisphere. It used to be a part of the  Parliamentary Library Both locations are great for photography as well as to see the history. The Law School is still in use by Victoria University today. Also visit Parliament if you're interested in NZ Politics and history. You can do a free public tour on the hour every hour if I remember correctly:
http://www.parliament.nz/en-nz/about-parliament/visiting/
There's no photography in parts of the building, but it's a great place to visit and the grounds also have some lovely gardens. Again they are well set up with wheelchair access and cater tours depending on who is in them. So can take longer for seniors if needed (due to walking a bit slower, or whatever is needed). 

I think you will all find that Wellington City is a great place to visit. There are a lot of places to see and visit. But the ones above are the ones I would recommend the most. 

This is what I wrote for someone going to Wellington for 12 hours, I am sure you could do much the same things, although of course if you were there for a day or two you would have more time to explore, Wellington city. It's a beautiful place! There are a lot of hotels in the CBD area, there are plenty of money machines (ATMs), Banks which offer currency exchange are plentiful. 
The  Botanical Gardens are another beautiful spot if you'd like to spend a day looking at plants, trees and people watching! It's a great place to have a picnic too.

1. The Bucket Fountain (attraction)
  2. Te Papa Tongarewa - Museum Of New Zealand (attraction)
  3. Mount Victoria Lookout (attraction)
  4. Wellington Railway Station (attraction)
  5. Botanical Gardens (attraction)
  6. Parliamentary Library (attraction)
  7. Cuba Street (attraction)

Annemarie from New York City

If you've got a few days and are prepared to fly, it's VERY easy to get around New Zealand from Auckland. You can fly almost anywhere from that hub. I also know there's a train from Auckland to Wellington, which is supposed to be quite scenic, but I haven't gotten to that unfortunately.

Also around Auckland there are several islands that are nature reserves and dormant volcanos. My favorite was Rangitoto Island which can be climbed in a few hours and is just gorgeous. Another one with a few restaurants/shopping areas is called Devonport.

And please do yourself a favor and grab a burger from the The White Lady food truck when you're in Auckland. It roames around but you can search social media for its location. So delicious.

1. Auckland (city)
  2. Rangitoto Island (attraction)
  3. The White Lady (restaurant)
  4. Devonport (attraction)

Veronica

We were just in Auckland and took the bus to Rotorua (Roe-toe-roo-ah).  You can buy a block of time for the bus or just buy the roundtrip ticket.  You see more of the scenery, and the public transportation works very well.  We enjoyed Rotorua...just make sure you go to the spa.  We went to the Mitai Maori Village Mitai hangi (like a Hawaiian luau) and spent the day at Te Puia.  Both sites were great!  Also, go check out the Auckland War Memorial Museum.  The buses in Auckland are very inexpensive.  The bus to Rotorua and other parts of the country is more expensive than the city buses, but cheaper than the train.

1. Rotorua (city)
  2. Auckland War Memorial Museum (attraction)
  3. Mitai Maori Village (attraction)
  4. Te Puia (attraction)

Lillian from Ponsonby

Hi there.

You can rent a car from Auckland and drive (check out Transfer Car for free one-way car rental), or alternative fly to cities that's faraway such as Wellington and Queenstown. Also check out Naked Bus for cheap long distance bus travel. Queenstown is the capital of adventure and you can also enjoy beautiful mountain view.

1. Auckland (city)
  2. Wellington (city)
  3. Queenstown (city)

Johanna (TravelEater) from Canada

I was in New Zealand a couple weeks ago. The easiest way to get around is to rent a car or a camper van. But the buses are good too, and several cater to backpackers and other tourists who want to stop at the cool stuff, even if it is out of the way. 

My favourite places on the North Island were:

Hot Water Beach, where, at low tide, you can dig a hole in the sand and it will fill with VERY hot water.  You then mix it with the cold water from the waves for your perfect hot tub. 

Rotorua, where there is weird geothermal activity.  You can go to the spa (like the  Polynesian Spa), go to the public park and see boiling and steaming pools of water and mud (for free!), or pay to go to one of the slightly out of town places like  Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland to see truly dramatic geysers and bubbling, colourful lakes of boiling mud and water. 

Karekare beach, a beautiful beach, with waterfalls nearby, just a short drive from Auckland.

Bay Of Islands, where you can see the  Hole In The Rock and have a chance to swim with bottlenose dolphins.

- and any place to see glowworms! 

1. Hot Water Beach (attraction)
  2. Rotorua (city)
  3. Polynesian Spa (attraction)
  4. Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland (attraction)
  5. Karekare beach (attraction)
  6. Hole In The Rock (attraction)
  7. Bay Of Islands (region)

Darnel from Hastings (New Zealand)

So easy to get around. That's the great thing about NZ you can find a great city within an hour of each other. Hire a car and go to Rotorua (2hours from Auckland) for a good cultural experience.

Just remember to keep left and be aware that the roads are small and the oncoming traffic is very close to you.

1. Auckland (city)
  2. Rotorua (city)