Will be in Auckland for 2 days and would like recommendations for reasonable priced restaurants with good food. Any suggestions?
Here is a list of affordable places to eat:
1. Food Alley on 9 Albert Street for Asian food
3. Ponsonby Fresh Fish & Chip on 127 Ponsonby Road for burgers, fish and chips
4. Sea Cow On The Bay on 2/33 Tamaki Dr, Mission Bay for fish and chips
5. IL Buco on 113 Ponsonby Road for pizza
6. Fusion Sushi on 258 K (Karangahape) Road for fusion Japanese food
7. Depot on 86 Federal St for oyster and wine
8. Swashbucklers on 23 Westhaven Dr for seafood
9. Dante's Woodfired Pizzeria on 136 Ponsonby Road
10. Coco's Cantina on 376 K Road for Italian food
Mentioned in this answer:
To be honest, there's a lot of good competition in the CBD, and as long as you're not visiting a "name" chef (who often have good specials anyway, as there are around 10 of them sprinkled through the CBD), you'll end up in a place of quality food at reasonable prices. Many restaurants don't even bother with bookings - just wander around Queen St and its adjacent ones, see where the crowds are, and avoid the ones that aren't crowded :D
For Mexican food, I'd recommend the "Mexico" restaurants - highlighted here: http://concreteplayground.com/auckland/food-drink/food-2/the-seven-best-mexican-restaurants-in-auckland/
If you want some real home cooking you can't beat the RSA restaurants (Returned Services Association - similar to a veterans' club). You don't have to be a member, just be sure to write your name in the visitors' book at the door and get a member to sign you in. They are glad to do this.
They tend to be located in the suburbs, here are some addresses: https://goo.gl/M2wVBC - but my fave, not listed on there for some reason, is at Recreation Drive, Birkenhead (lower level of the club; closed Mon/Tues, free desserts with mains Wed/Thu/Sun).
Mains at RSA Birkenhead cost around $12-15 and include a salad and hot vegetable bar. The desserts are amazing and the homemade cheesecake is the best thing ever! Just be sure to get there early as they do close around 8pm or 8:30 depending on the night.
If you are there before 6pm you will also get to experience the Remembrance Ceremony: http://rsa.org.nz/About-the-RSA/HistoryoftheRSA/TheOde