Casey
Cambridge (Massachusetts)

Atlanta

What are the most popular neighborhoods in Atlanta?

It's my first time to Atlanta and I've heard it's pretty spread out. What are the different neighborhoods in Atlanta known for? I'd like to see many areas - what are your favorite for nightlife? live music? history? What are the can't miss areas and why? Would love recommendations on your favorite hotel in each area as well.

Caroline from Atlanta

My friends here have covered the intown neighborhoods very well, but I'll speak for the suburbs. Marietta has a historic square, shops, museums and Civil War history. It's the popular place to film movies. Decatur has upscale bars and restaurants as well as breweries. Roswell (Georgia) is similar to Marietta. Norcross , Duluth (Georgia)  and Chamblee have some great ethnic restaurants! 

1. Marietta (city)
  2. Decatur (city)
  3. Roswell (Georgia) (city)
  4. Norcross (city)
  5. Duluth (Georgia) (city)
  6. Chamblee (city)

Daren from Atlanta

Virginia Highland- tons of great restaurants, coffee shops and bars. Really popular area. My parents stayed in Greenwood Bed and Breakfast close by and loved it especially if you're looking for a quiet place with a lot of privacy. Clean and accommodating. 

Grant Park- Really family oriented but great houses.

West Midtown- lot of hipsters and tech crowd over here but there's awesome restaurants. Look into the W Atlanta - Midtown, great hotel because of the rooftop pool and bar. 

Little Five Points in my opinion, is the best area you want to be in. Has my favorite restaurants (Tijuana Garage Taqueria & Cantina and Vortex Bar & Grill for the best burger of your life) and great bars like Wrecking Bar Brewpub and Cameli's Gourmet Pizza Joint (awesome craft beer selection). There's a lot to do in that part of town and everything is within walking distance. 

1. Virginia Highland (neighborhood)
  2. Greenwood Bed and Breakfast (hotel)
  3. Grant Park (neighborhood)
  4. West Midtown (attraction)
  5. W Atlanta - Midtown (hotel)
  6. Little Five Points (neighborhood)
  7. Tijuana Garage Taqueria & Cantina (restaurant)
  8. Vortex Bar & Grill (restaurant)
  9. Wrecking Bar Brewpub (restaurant)
  10. Cameli's Gourmet Pizza Joint (attraction)

Talia from Boston

To name some of the major ones:

Little Five Points has kind of a college town vibe—crazy bars, vintage shops, and record stores. You have to have a drink at the Vortex Bar & Grill just to see it. It's fun.  The Highland Inn is the best place to stay in this area. We loved it here, the building is super vintage and close to a lot of restaurants and cool bars.  

Virginia Highlands – where you go when you’re had enough of Five Points. 

Buckhead – beautiful high-end shopping neighborhood.

Downtown Atlanta – the SkyView Atlanta is fun to ride! There are tons of businesses and I LOVE the Sun Dialrestaurant for drinks. If it seems like you’re spinning you’re not drunk—the restaurant actually does rotate. Also, the most perfect B&B is close by, Ponce de Leon Place Bed & Breakfast is a home away from home. A hidden gem in Atlanta! I felt like I wasn't even in a city, cute place. Stay in the cottage suite! 

Druid Hills – love to come here to look at the homes! Same with Inman Park.

Midtown Atlanta – probably the best area if you’re looking for a lot to do culturally.  The High Museum of Art is here which was one of my favorites. There are awesome pool parties at the top of the W Atlanta - Midtown and a great bar/lounge area. We spent a night here and loved it.

1. Little Five Points (neighborhood)
  2. Vortex Bar & Grill (restaurant)
  3. The Highland Inn (hotel)
  4. Virginia Highlands (attraction)
  5. Buckhead (neighborhood)
  6. Downtown Atlanta (neighborhood)
  7. SkyView Atlanta (attraction)
  8. Sun Dial (restaurant)
  9. Ponce de Leon Place Bed & Breakfast (hotel)
  10. Druid Hills (city)
  11. Inman Park (neighborhood)
  12. Midtown Atlanta (attraction)
  13. High Museum of Art (attraction)
  14. W Atlanta - Midtown (hotel)

Julie from Atlanta

Midtown Atlanta is central and fun. W Atlanta - Midtown or Four Seasons Hotel Atlanta. Good restaurants nearby. Buckhead is totally over-rated!

1. Midtown Atlanta (attraction)
  2. W Atlanta - Midtown (hotel)
  3. Four Seasons Hotel Atlanta (hotel)
  4. Buckhead (neighborhood)

Seth from Tamarac, Florida

Decatur for Food and Bars!

1. Decatur (city)

Carol from Atlanta

Ok. This is easy! Stay in Midtown Atlanta. There is a Four Seasons Hotel Atlanta, A W Atlanta - Downtown, and many others. Great restaurants, art scene, and lots going on at Piedmont Park (a smaller "Central Park."). Look for a hotel between 14th street and 17th street. That way, you can walk to pretty much anything that you are interested in doing. The High Museum of Art always has great exhibits. Crescent Ave NE (a small perpendicular street between 12th and 14th) has great restos and clubs. Piedmont Park is a one block walk. This time of year they have concerts or festivals on the weekends.

1. Midtown Atlanta (attraction)
  2. Four Seasons Hotel Atlanta (hotel)
  3. W Atlanta - Downtown (hotel)
  4. Piedmont Park (attraction)
  5. High Museum of Art (attraction)
  6. Crescent Ave NE (attraction)