Sophie asked

Where to stay in Athens for an easy/fast cab ride to airport

Hello!

I need to book a hotel or airbnb for a night with an early cab ride to the airport the next day, what would be a good area for that?

Thanks

Athens

Missy from Newport

The Athens International Airport is a good distance outside of Athens proper to the northeast.  I usually book a hotel in Glyfada, which is east of Athens proper and almost directly south about 25 kilometers from the Athens Airport.  There are a variety of hotels to choose from in different price ranges, some on the water for a nice last night view.  The reason to stay in Glyfada is that the drive to the airport is through countryside without any of the Athens traffic.  Athens traffic, no matter what time of day, is well worth avoiding if you need to catch a flight at a particular time.  Or go straight to the airport where there is a nice Sofitel Athens Airport Hotel in which I have stayed (has a reasonable restaurant as well for dinner).  From the hotel, you simply walk across to the one main terminal in the morning where all airline check in desks are located.  If I have to stay in Athens for a reason the night before an am flight, I usually stay at the Herodion Hotel, which is right under the Acropolis, and within walking distance to the Plaka.  This hotel is in a nice mid price range, catering to business people, and has doormen and porters that are wired into early morning departures, and seem to always be able to get taxis when needed in the early am hours.  At this hotel, I have always had a wake up call, then appeared in lobby by elevator, and been plopped right into a taxi off to the airport, no muss, no fuss.

Bill from Athens

Hi!
The airport  is about 40 minutes from the town center, so if you stay near the airport, there wont be anything for you to do there. You can stay in the town center and take the metro to the airport which is about 40 minutes

Scott from Fort Collins

Having stayed there several times for early flights,  I would stay at Sofitel Athens Airport.  You can rail in and out of Central Athens at Syntagma Square.  Very easy, without any thought involved.  

1. Sofitel Athens Airport (restaurant)
  2. Syntagma Square (attraction)