Caity
San Carlos, California

Athens

What would do in one day in Athens (Greece)?

Have nearly a full day to spend on my way out of Greece in Athens in early Oct and looking for the must-dos! Will be by myself...Thanks!

Chryssa from Copenhagen

I would walk around Athens and see the below:

Panathenaic Stadium = the first Olympic Games took place in 1896 there.

Then I would pass by Zappeion which is right next to the stadium and i would make a photo stop at the Temple of Olympian Zeus  

Close by there are also the University of Athens the Academy of Athens and the National Library of Greece 

I would definitely pass by the Greek Parliament to see the  

And of course you should visit Acropolis of Athens and the Acropolis Museum 

Near Acropolis there is also the Theatre of Dionysus

Monastiraki you will find a lot of shops at a very fair price. And there is also Ermou 30: this pedestrian street is also full of stores.  

check out the below tour that covers most of the things i have mentioned above:

http://www.tourboks.com/en/product/athens-sightseeing--acropolis-museum.html 

PS: I work for Tourboks, and I am from Greece so if you have any travel related questions i would be glad to help :) 

1. Panathenaic Stadium (attraction)
  2. Zappeion (attraction)
  3. Temple of Olympian Zeus (attraction)
  4. University of Athens (attraction)
  5. Academy of Athens (attraction)
  6. National Library of Greece (attraction)
  7. Greek Parliament (attraction)
  8. Acropolis of Athens (attraction)
  9. Acropolis Museum (attraction)
  10. Theatre of Dionysus (attraction)
  11. Monastiraki (attraction)
  12. Ermou 30 (attraction)

Missy from Newport

Hi, for "Must Do's", I would visit the Acropolis of Athens and at the entry way hire a guide.  You should only hire a guide that is an official licensed guide, which should be indicated on a name tag that the Guide should be wearing.  I find the Acropolis not well marked particularly about the very interesting architectural aspects of the Acropolis including perspective and balance.  I would, after the Acropolis, take a taxi to the Acropolis Museum, which you should be able to see without a guide, as the exhibits are well marked. Perhaps after head to the Plaka for dinner to Psaros Taverna which is good traditional taverna food if you have time.  If you are going to head into Athens from the airport, be sure to leave yourself plenty of time, especially if you are heading into Athens during a rush hour, when the trip to and from the airport can be 1-2 hours each way. 

1. Acropolis of Athens (attraction)

Anna from Athens

Hello Caity! I suggest you take a big walk around Athens and check out pretty neighborhoods like Plaka. You could also go to the Acropolis of Athens and then walk around it. I've written a quick guide to Athens on my blog which you can find right here: http://aspectsofathens.com/2014/07/28/a-quick-guide-to-athens/ The city center is very walkable! Let me know if you need any more information!

1. Plaka (neighborhood)
  2. Acropolis of Athens (attraction)

Brandon

The absolute must-do in Athens is, of course, the acropolis and the spectacular museum dedicated to it. Visit the Acropolis Museum first, as it's right next to the metro (station Akropoli, line 2/red) and then proceed via the pedestrian street towards the Acropolis itself (don't miss the Odeon of Herodes Atticus en route). Both the monuments and the views from the Rock are spectacular. After your descent proceed towards the Ancient Agora (with its reconstructed Stoa of Attalus and well-preserved Temple of Hephaestus) and then have a coffee in the Plaka or Thiseion regions that surround the area.

1. Acropolis Museum (attraction)
  2. Odeon of Herodes Atticus (attraction)
  3. Ancient Agora (attraction)
  4. Temple of Hephaestus (attraction)
  5. Plaka (neighborhood)

Lorraine

Definitely the best free thing is to watch the changing of the guard in front of Greek Parliament house-done on the hour and after you can have a photo taken beside them. The Acropolis of Athens definitely and the Acropolis Museum if you have time. Walk round Plaka-nice cafes, usually buskers and breakdancers. Monastiraki with its second hand shops and flea market interesting. Bus to airport goes from Syntagma Square-5euro- and takes approx an hour, so finish your day there,

1. Greek Parliament (attraction)
  2. Acropolis of Athens (attraction)
  3. Plaka (neighborhood)
  4. Monastiraki (attraction)

Angel from Seychelles

Hi Caity,

The Parthenon is a definite MUST. It rests on the Acropolis of Athens. There is also the theatre and very many other sight seeing places to fill your day. Even a walk down the Plaka is a wonderful experience. You'll find very many things to occupy your time in the plaka.

Should you have any other questions, advise or assistance, please feel free to contact us through our facebook page. www.facebook.com/zestini.international

1. Parthenon (attraction)
  2. Acropolis of Athens (attraction)

Hello Caity.  The suggestions you have received are fabulous.  If you have time, we also really enjoyed Temple of Olympian Zeus, which is close to the Acropolis of Athens.  

1. Temple of Olympian Zeus (attraction)
  2. Acropolis of Athens (attraction)

Αγάπη

A must is the Acropolis of Athens (two to three hours). Two more hours to get a very general feel of the city. 

1. Acropolis of Athens (attraction)