Blair
Ann Arbor

Blair from Ann Arbor asked

What to do with 24 hours in Athens?

I have 2 nights and one day in Athens. What do I prioritize? Thinking activities/sites/restaurants

Athens (Greece)

Missy from Newport

Hi, I would definitely first go to the Acropolis of Athens, and hire a guide outside of the Acropolis.  Be sure to hire an official Greek licensed guide for which the guide will have a nametag indicating that the guide is Greek licensed, and check the guide's command of the English language, which should be very good, as to understand the most about the Acropolis site you will need to have clear English spoken.  There are a lot of different words in Greek versus English for the various parts of the structures on the Acropolis, which are important to understand to understand the site.  I would then go to the Acropolis museum after the Acropolis, however you might first want to go to lunch in Pireas.  Any of the restaurants right on the quay, where the waiter must cross the street from the main restaurant to take care of you are good, with very fresh seafood, and then go to the Acropolis Museum.  You may want to see the Plaka, and for dinner, I suggest Psaros traditional taverna.  Last on my list would be seeing the ruins of the Temple of Zeus, although you could ask the taxi to stop there, as it is easy to see in a few minutes.  And last for me would be the changing of the guard at the Parliament building, which occurs every day at 11:00am, unless you are right in that area at that time. Athens at large I do not find particularly attractive, and is jam packed with traffic generally, making including much in your day a challenge.

1. Acropolis of Athens (attraction)
  2. Pireas (attraction)
  3. Plaka (neighborhood)