Blair
Ann Arbor

Athens

What to do with 24 hours in Athens?

I have 2 nights and one day in Athens. What do I prioritize? Thinking activities/sites/restaurants

The obvious first and second choices are to see the Parthenon and to visit the Acropolis Museum.  I don't think any trip to Athens would be complete without it.  Beyond that, select a few other sites/museums that you find interesting.  A couple to think about:

Theatre of Dionysus which is in teh Acropolis area.  The original Olympic stadium-the Panathenaic Stadium was awesome to me, but I'm a bit of a sports freak.  And my husband and I both really loved the National Archaeological Museum.

No visit would be complete without strolling through the lovely Plaka area of Athens.  Full of shops, little alleys, bars and restaurants.  It's charming!

For food, I cannot recommend anything better than Platanos Taverna.  We ate there 3 nights.  Beautiful outdoor seating under a flowering tree in a lovely little square (used to be called O Platanos).  It is one of the oldest tavernas in Athens.  The owners are absolutely delightful!  As you make your way to the restaurant, swing by the Tower of the Winds.  Make sure to order the house made local wine-Retsina.

1. Parthenon (attraction)
  2. Acropolis Museum (attraction)
  3. Theatre of Dionysus (attraction)
  4. Panathenaic Stadium (attraction)
  5. National Archaeological Museum (attraction)
  6. Plaka (neighborhood)
  7. Platanos Taverna (attraction)
  8. Tower of the Winds (neighborhood)

Missy from Newport

Hi, I would definitely first go to the Acropolis of Athens, and hire a guide outside of the Acropolis.  Be sure to hire an official Greek licensed guide for which the guide will have a nametag indicating that the guide is Greek licensed, and check the guide's command of the English language, which should be very good, as to understand the most about the Acropolis site you will need to have clear English spoken.  There are a lot of different words in Greek versus English for the various parts of the structures on the Acropolis, which are important to understand to understand the site.  I would then go to the Acropolis museum after the Acropolis, however you might first want to go to lunch in Pireas.  Any of the restaurants right on the quay, where the waiter must cross the street from the main restaurant to take care of you are good, with very fresh seafood, and then go to the Acropolis Museum.  You may want to see the Plaka, and for dinner, I suggest Psaros traditional taverna.  Last on my list would be seeing the ruins of the Temple of Zeus, although you could ask the taxi to stop there, as it is easy to see in a few minutes.  And last for me would be the changing of the guard at the Parliament building, which occurs every day at 11:00am, unless you are right in that area at that time. Athens at large I do not find particularly attractive, and is jam packed with traffic generally, making including much in your day a challenge.

1. Acropolis of Athens (attraction)
  2. Pireas (region)
  3. Plaka (neighborhood)

luiza from Zurich

Melilotos for lunch Funky Gourmet for dinner

1. Melilotos (restaurant)
  2. Funky Gourmet (restaurant)