Hjörtur
Copenhagen

Athens

What to do in Athens with kids in February?

I'm thinking of taking my kids (4 kids aged 6 to 18) to Athens for 1-2 weeks in February. What activities do you recommend in and around Athens for a large family on a budget?

Ps. I love history and am looking particularly at Athens in the 11th century AD, but my kids sometimes get very tired of my enthusiasm, so a good mix would be great ;)

Natasa from Athens

Hello Hjortur, you should visit Parthenon and Acropolis Museum for sure and then walk around Monastiraki Flea Market and Plaka. You can also arrange a tour to Delphi to visit the oracle and the ancient theatre. Also you can arrange an one day cruise to islands near Athens: Hydra (Greece)PorosEgina. A nice idea would be also to visit Epidaurus Theatre! As for the kids, you can spend a day at Glyfada and Vouliagmeni, where there are located plenty of fun parks near the sea!

1. Parthenon (attraction)
  2. Acropolis Museum (attraction)
  3. Monastiraki Flea Market (attraction)
  4. Plaka (neighborhood)
  5. Delphi (attraction)
  6. Hydra (Greece) (city)
  7. Poros (city)
  8. Egina (attraction)
  9. Epidaurus Theatre (attraction)
  10. Glyfada (city)
  11. Vouliagmeni (city)

Michael from Athens

i agree. Attica Zoological Park is the best option with kids in Athens in February.

1. Attica Zoological Park (attraction)

Anna from Athens

now I'm scratching my head with this question, because I try to find out what fun things I did in Athens growing up! So Goulandris Museum of Cycladic Art does host activities for kids during the weekends, but as far as I know, they're only in Greek.

Apart from the Attica zoological park that other people suggested (which I haven't visited to be honest), I'd recommend to visit Allou! Fun Park (but I don't know days and hours of operation).

Other than walk inside the National Gardens, they have some animals there that kids usually visit. 

From the city center (Syntagma Square)you can take either a bus (A3, B3, A2) or the Tram (direction: Voula) and head to the southern suburbs. You can go to Glyfada which is a really big suburb, with lots of shops and cafes. It's nice for a stroll and you'll find a playground for your younger ones in Esperidon Square. 

You can also take the tram to the last stop, and there you'll be in the place I grew up: Voula. The tram stops right near the sea, so if you walk straight ahead, there's a promenade where you can walk and a cafe called (Notos).

Another beach side place for walk/cafe/dining is Park Floisvos Ltd (Floisvos Marina). You can get there with the A2 Bus from Syntagma or the tram (direction Piraeus).

I hope it helps...I try to come up with more ideas! Oh and I run a blog called http://aspectsofathens.com where you can definitely look for some inspiration (on the top right of the blog you'll see 3 parallel lines, click there for the menu and go under Things to Do). Unfortunately I don't have explicitly kid friendly activities (but you definitely gave me ideas for a future post) but there's lots of inspiration!

1. Goulandris Museum of Cycladic Art (attraction)
  2. Allou! Fun Park (attraction)
  3. National Gardens (attraction)
  4. Syntagma Square (attraction)
  5. Glyfada (city)
  6. Voula (city)
  7. Park Floisvos Ltd (attraction)

Scott from Chicago

Attica Zoological Park is pretty great! Perfect for kids. 

1. Attica Zoological Park (attraction)