Hayley

Athens

Best Neighborhood in Athens

Hi, I am going to Athens in June. What is the best neighborhood to stay in? I would prefer to be closer to nightlife and travel farther to the main attractions. Safety is always something I consider as well. I am in my late 20s, on a fairly tight budget, likely staying in an AirBnB home. 

Vasiliki from Athens

The most picturesque area in Athens is around  Acropolis Museum and Plaka, everything is in walking distance (attractions, food, nightlife). For the safety part of the trip if you avoid Omonia Square you are fine.

What kind of nightlife you prefer? Because although the city centre has the best bars and small stages (perfect for bar hoping,  cause everything is close) all the big nightclubs and live greek stages are moving towards Glyfada in May.

1. Acropolis Museum (attraction)
  2. Omonia Square (attraction)
  3. Glyfada (city)
  4. Plaka (neighborhood)

Jodi from Funchal

Agree that the Plaka is a safe area in Athens, but I found it incredibly touristy and a bit too kitschy for my tastes. Definitely fun to wander, and there are not just tourists eating there, but I usually prefer to stay in areas where people think it's strange to see a foreigner, versus one where it's normal. Airbnb makes that easy, since it allows you to slide in sideways into someone else's place for a few days and explore :)

I recently stayed in Kolonaki not far from the Panepistimio metro stop. (The street was Sina street). I tend to prefer fun cheap food, and on Sina was two great options: Gyro Gyro Oli, and Gougoumeze (sorry, both of these don't register on the maps feature, but they are on Sina street as well). Both of them have under 5 Eur a dish.

From there it's also an easy walk to Dexamenis Square (try the restaurant Dexameni there), and easy metro rides to the Acropolis. Note that your tickets (12 Eur) to the Acropolis also covers other sites in town like the Temple of Olympian Zeus, and entry is valid for a full four days. 

If you and your friends are looking to try a Cretan restaurant, I would recommend Kriti. More info here: 

http://www.culinarybackstreets.com/athens/2012/kriti/ 

(For a photo of grilled eggplant and tomatoes from the Gougoumeze place: http://instagram.com/p/olG50gOI53/)

1. Plaka (neighborhood)
  2. Kolonaki (attraction)
  3. Acropolis (attraction)
  4. Temple of Olympian Zeus (attraction)

Simonettoni from Athens

You will find many AirBnB apartments close to  Acropolis and Plaka, which I would suggest to you. Safe areas. Also safe areas are  Kolonaki and Syntagma Square. All the main attractions are in little walking distance from Plaka and Acropoles. Go for it!

1. Acropolis (attraction)
  2. Plaka (neighborhood)
  3. Kolonaki (attraction)
  4. Syntagma Square (attraction)

Margaritis from Volos

Plaka is the centre of Athens city and the tourist heart and is also a safe place.

Most of the attractions border the Plaka area and it is an ideal central location. Well served by public transport with excellent amenities it is a great place to be. It is however extremely touristy, expect to find your "traditional" greek everything here.

Gazi is also an option. It is situated just North/West of the Thisseo, is home to many restaurants, bars, cafes and club and is the preferred spot for a night out eating and clubbing for all.  It is the area to go if you want to experience local night life and not just touristic bars. Saturday nights it is a buzzing place.

To stay safe avoid areas like Omonia Square especially at night.

Have a nice trip :)

1. Plaka (neighborhood)
  2. Gazi (neighborhood)
  3. Omonia Square (attraction)

anna from Athens

Hi, Athens in June is really nice especially if you stay in Plaka. It is a safe area. I wouldn't recommend areas like Omonia Square or Metaxourgio. These places are close to each other but have a big difference on safety. Plaka district is in the center of Athens and really close to nightlife.

1. Plaka (neighborhood)
  2. Omonia Square (attraction)
  3. Metaxourgio (neighborhood)

Vassilis from New York City

Nightlife in Athens is great and there are many options so you can't go wrong really.  Having said that, from June to September most clubs move to the south of the city, i.e. closer to the beach. Glyfada is a suburb that is good choice for that or anything south of that. Drawback is that it is a bit too far from the city center. As a plan b (or a) I would choose something centrally located like Gazi or Thiseio, which is really full of bars, it has more of a meatpacking district (NY) feeling to it and you can always look up and see the majestic view of the Acropolis. Hope this helps.

1. Athens (city)
  2. Glyfada (city)
  3. Gazi (neighborhood)
  4. Thiseio (neighborhood)
  5. Acropolis (attraction)