Athens (Georgia)

Best free things to do in Athens (Georgia)?

I'm going to be in Athens (Georgia) next month and will be on a pretty tight budget. I'm looking for the best free and inexpensive things to check out! I love the outdoors, art, museums, you name it. Thanks!

Jerome from Athens (Georgia)

The Georgia Museum of Art is great and donation based.

Depending on the amount of rain the Broad River Outpost rents kayaks for $20

Downtown Athens is full of restaurants, bars, and shops. Little King's Shuffle Club, The World Famous Athens, Ted's Most Best, and many more.

The state botanical gardens are nice.

Creature Comforts Brewery tours downtown.

Check out www.flagpole.com for what's happening while you are here.

1. Georgia Museum of Art (attraction)
  2. Broad River Outpost (hotel)
  3. Little King's Shuffle Club (restaurant)
  4. The World Famous Athens (restaurant)
  5. Ted's Most Best (restaurant)
  6. Creature Comforts Brewery (restaurant)

rich from Athens, GA

Most of the other suggestions are very good so I'll just add a few of my own.  At Sandy Creek Park you can go paddle boarding which is fun and not too expensive.  Take the time to walk around the historic North Campus of the The University of Georgia.  Depending on when you are here, there are a couple of football games in September.  Even if you don't like the game, Downtown Athens and the campus turns into a giant party.  If you have transportation, the mountains are only an hour and a half to the north.  You might be interested in visiting Helen.  Plenty of hiking up in North Georgia.  

1. Sandy Creek Park (attraction)
  2. The University of Georgia (attraction)
  3. Helen (city)

Kara from Atlanta, Georgia

check out the My_athens instagram account for ideas! Lots of great foodie places: ted's most best, DePalma's Italian Cafe, The Globe, Mama's Boy Restaurant, Last Resort Grill, The Grit, Seabear Oyster Bar (just to name a few!)

Great breweries: Terrapin Beer Co., Creature Comforts Brewery

Art/entertainment: Georgia Theatre, 40 Watt Club, The State Botanical Garden of GeorgiaGeorgia Museum of Art

hope you enjoy our fun town!

1. DePalma's Italian Cafe (restaurant)
  2. The Globe (restaurant)
  3. Mama's Boy Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. Last Resort Grill (restaurant)
  5. The Grit (restaurant)
  6. Seabear Oyster Bar (restaurant)
  7. Terrapin Beer Co. (restaurant)
  8. Creature Comforts Brewery (restaurant)
  9. Georgia Theatre (attraction)
  10. 40 Watt Club (attraction)
  11. The State Botanical Garden of Georgia (attraction)
  12. Georgia Museum of Art (attraction)

Taylor from New Orleans, Louisiana

The Bear Hollow Wildlife Trail was one of my favorite broke activities in college at UGA.   Neat hilly trail (not super intense) that sends at a quaint little zoo.  Steer clear of the potheads and trail runners!

1. Bear Hollow Wildlife Trail (attraction)

Josh from Baton Rouge

Athens has a great music scene, and the little town of Athens is just really cool.  I wish I would have gone to college there after visiting.

I would suggest just walking around and enjoying one of the many open bars with music playing.

Paula

Georgia Museum of Art and the state Botanical Gardens are both free. Took might also want to check out the UGA Main Library. They usually have some interesting displays on the fifth floor, usually history oriented, and also free. There's a local online paper called the Flagpole (flagpole.com)that lists all the music stuff, as well as other happenings. That will give you a better look at what's happening on  the specific dates you'll be here. Hope you have a great time!

1. Georgia Museum of Art (attraction)
  2. Botanical Gardens (attraction)
  3. UGA Main Library (attraction)