Shannon

Argentina, Italy, Rome, Naples, Syracuse, Amalfi Coast, Buenos Aires, Mendoza, Patagonia (Argentina)

Which is better in January -- Italy or Argentina?

I am trying to take advantage of a sale, and I have very little time to decide on where to go during January/February timeframe. Do we head to Buenos Aires in Argentina (dead summer, high season) or do we head to Rome/Southern Italy, which will be much colder but we will get to see Italy without the crowds and at much cheaper prices. Any guidance would be helpful!! 

I can't attest for Argentina, but I spent a couple weeks in Rome and Tuscany during the December/January time frame and absolutely loved it. We saw everything we wanted to see. It is cold - very cold. We even had a little snow up north, but if you're heading south it will be a little nicer. Italians celebrate Christmas on Epiphany on January 6th, so if you are there early in the month, you may catch some really special celebrations. We just missed the Epiphany parade in Tarquinia where they have real camels and some phenomenal costumes. All of the Christmas markets and decorations will be up until the 6th as well, so it's a nice time.

2. Tuscany (state)
  3. Tarquinia (city)

Mechi

Hi! im from argentina and I can tell you thay if you plan to visit Buenos Aires, the city is almost "empty" in january. Hot summer can be a little complicated but I guess will be better than cold italy. There are some other places in argentina that you can visit (if you like mountains, lakes and beautiful landscape) like the south of the country- Patagonia (Argentina) argentina. Places like Mendoza are also wonderful and I guess it could be a perfect date. February could be a better desition if you wanna see the real Buenos Aires. i guess this is a beautiful city (this is my opinion but also a " popular" onE ;)). 

Italy should be wonderful! Somebody told me that the sourth is amazing but they also told me that is toó cold. :( 

Let me know if you need further INFO.

1. Buenos Aires (city)
  2. Patagonia (Argentina) (metro area)
  3. Mendoza (attraction)

Boije from Siuntio

I would prefer Argentina although it is summer and hot there.
If you have a possibility visit Mar Del Plata in east coast, a marvelous beach town, a pearl :). About 5 hours with bus from Buenos Aires.
There is also a lot of good places around Buenos Aires area for a one day trips, of course if you have time and love mountains and wine then Mendoza is a must.

I have been several times in this country and can’t get enough of it.

About the prices I can’t comment how it is today but for me Argentina has always been cheap compared to Europa. Last time I was there was some years ago.

1. Argentina (country)
  2. Mar Del Plata (city)
  3. Buenos Aires (city)
  4. Mendoza (attraction)

Adriana from Argentina

In January, as it is summer  in Argentina you can go to the seaside: Mar Del Plata Pinamar etc  if you like cold water, but if you prefer warmer sea water, Las Grutas is for you. You can also go to the Patagonia which is amazing.  In Buenos Aires the temperature is far from ideal.

In Italy, it is winter and a bit rainy, it is better to go in spring or autumn. I don´t mind if it is cold, the problem is when it rains. But it is true: it is calmer, no crowds. The south of Italy is warmer: Sicily Taormina

1. Mar Del Plata (city)
  2. Pinamar (city)
  3. Las Grutas (attraction)
  4. Sicily (island)
  5. Taormina (attraction)

Katica from Dubrovnik

I haven't been to Argentina so far but I visited Rome several times in January and it was great. 

Pamela from New Canaan, Connecticut

I try to avoid peak tourist times in any location...so my vote is for Italy.  Just pack a sweater.

Buon viaggio!  

1. Italy (country)

Laura from Buenos Aires

Italy witout doubt. 

And I'm Argentine, I love my country but Italy is simply wonderful.- 

1. Italy (country)

Sergio from Naples, Italy

Naples is good in spring, in January it is better in Argentina!

1. Naples (city)
  2. Argentina (country)