Greg
Whistler

Argentina, Buenos Aires, Patagonia (Argentina)

Two weeks in Argentina

Planning a trip to Argentina but only have two weeks. Was planning on doing Buenos Aires and Patagonia. What would be a good two-week itinerary? Love the beach and the mountains and want to try do as much as I can! Don't mind moving around a lot.

Heidi from New York City

Finally, someone I think I can actually help! Greg, my husband and I did a very busy 12 day trip to Argentina in April 2011. Everyone told us we couldn't do it. Everyone told us we'd be miserable. It was a great example of knowing your own travel abilities, because it was one of our best trips, complete with random 8 hour airline delays, a small fender-bender, and too much wine consumption.

You've got great suggestions from above, so I'll just give you an idea of what's more than possible, provided you really do like moving around. We flew quite a bit (hence our 2 delays, once of which was a day-killer) and rented cars twice.

You'll surely start in Buenos Aires and can then move on to El Calafate and the Perito Moreno glacier and countless hiking opportunities (and very decent microbrews) at El Chalten Onward to Ushuaia, where you will earn serious demerits if you don't cruise the Beagle Channel, visit the penguin colonies, and Estancia Harberton. Mendoza is gorgeous, yes, and the Uco Valley not to be missed. Truly bizarre and wonderful are Purmamarca, Salta, and the otherworldly salt flats, but our favorite spot "up north" was the lovely town of El Cafayate. The Andes near El Cafayate and Mendoza would give you ample and different mountain opportunities from their southern pals. We ended with several days in Buenos Aires and, of course, we loved the city as well. We only had the 12 days or we would have gladly stayed longer in every location. But you can do it!

I'm a meticulous planner and kept extensive notes, so let me know if you have any other questions. You picked a helluva trip, so you really can't go wrong!

1. Buenos Aires (city)
  2. El Calafate (city)
  3. Perito Moreno (attraction)
  4. El Chalten (city)
  5. Ushuaia (city)
  6. Beagle Channel (attraction)
  7. Estancia Harberton (city)
  8. Mendoza (attraction)
  9. Purmamarca (city)
  10. Salta (city)
  11. El Cafayate (attraction)

Jeannette from Brooklyn

Hi Greg! I spent a couple months in Argentina last year, mostly in Buenos Aires and a bit of time down south. If you're into mountains, I HIGHLY recommend El Chalten in Patagonia. It's a really unique place and very hiker friendly. There's a tiny town with some hostels, restaurants and cafes that's surrounded by mountains on every side. The trail entrances are IN the town, so day hiking is really easy and convenient. A lot of people just set up camp in town (there are a number of campgrounds), and then hike during the day.

Not too far from here is El Calafate, which is the gateway town to Perito Moreno, famous for its glaciers. It's a very touristy attraction, but the magnificence of the glaciers make it worth while. If you have time and want to eat one of the best meals of your life, go to Isabel Cocina al Disco. Try the pollo al disco, which is a traditional dish cooked in a cast iron skillet. The sauce is INCREDIBLE. 

If you're into wine, definitely check out Mendoza. It's in a mountainous region with nearby rivers, so in addition to wine tasting, you can hike, bike, and raft. 

I didn't do much beach while I was there, but hear Mar del Plata is the place to go. For more mountain fun, Bariloche is supposed to be amazing, through I didn't have the chance to go there either.

As for your itinerary, here's my recommendation:

1) Fly directly to El Calafate

2) Take a bus out to El Chalten and camp/hike for ~4 days

3) Bus back to El Calafate and eat the best meal of your life at 'Isabel' (it's attached to a hostel)

4) Fly (or bus, but bus will shave off a lot of time) to Bariloche or Mendoza. Spend a couple days.

5) Fly or bus to Mar del Plata for beach

6) Finish off in Buenos Aires 

1. El Chalten (city)
  2. El Calafate (city)
  3. Perito Moreno (attraction)
  4. Isabel Cocina al Disco (restaurant)

Guadalupe from Buenos Aires

Hi greg! as everyone has recommended the south of Argentina has incredible landscapes but don´t miss the northern part which is also very special. You have to go to Salta Province and to "el cerro de los siete colores" at Purmamarca, which means the mountain with seven colors that is something unusual. Then go to Salinas Grandes which is like a dessert of salt, all white in the middle of nowhere. the distances are long, but really beautiful to make a road trip. I hope you have a nice time an enjoy yourself!!

1. Salta Province (state)
  2. Purmamarca (city)
  3. Salinas Grandes (attraction)

Mandy from Berlin

You could start in Buenos Aires and from there take a flight to Ushuaia - enjoy Tierra del Fuego Province, Argentina for a few days and then take a bus to Punta Arenas or/and Rio Gallegos.

Then take another bus to Puerto Natales from where you can organize a tour to Torres del Paine. Beautiful landscape, time for some rock climbing. :) 

And I'd recommend a stop over in Calafate (glacier Perito Moreno).

If there is still time, try to go to Península Valdés to see some wales (only possible in certain months of the year). 

We did a similar tour some years ago, but we had about 3 weeks time.

Patagonia is definitely one of the most beautiful places I've seen. After the two weeks trip you will realize that you'll have to go back once more to see all of its beauty. ;) 

Enjoy your trip! 

1. Ushuaia (city)
  2. Tierra del Fuego Province, Argentina (state)
  3. Punta Arenas (city)
  4. Rio Gallegos (city)
  5. Puerto Natales (city)
  6. Torres del Paine (city)
  7. Calafate (neighborhood)
  8. Península Valdés (attraction)

Julieta from Almagro

Well, winter is perfect to enjoy the Patagonia. I would suggest 2 or 3 days in cities like San Carlos de BarilocheSan Martin de los AndesVilla La Angostura or Villa Pehuenia. The first two are bigger cities, with more population, while the last two are more like towns. Near them you have sky centers which are the main attracttion in this time of the year. Also, you can visit the Perito Moreno in Calafate. I have never been there but I was told it is amazing. 

Concerning the coast, well, since it's winter it's not the best time of the year. My town, Mar Del Plata, is probably the biggest touristic beach city in the country, but not the best to visit in winter. It's really cold so unless you want to surf or just stare at the landscape, I wouldn't recommend it. Other towns, like Carilo or Mar de las Pampas are probably better to visit on winter if you REALLY want to go to the beach but again, I wouldn't recommend it till september or so, when the temperature increases. 

And of course you should go to Buenos Aires! That city is fun and interesting to visit at any time of the year. If I were you, I would stay at least 4 or 5 days, there is just too much to see and do!

if you have any other questions, i would be glad to answer. 

1. San Carlos de Bariloche (city)
  2. San Martin de los Andes (city)
  3. Villa La Angostura (city)
  4. Villa Pehuenia (attraction)
  5. Perito Moreno (attraction)
  6. Mar Del Plata (city)
  7. Carilo (city)
  8. Mar de las Pampas (attraction)
  9. Buenos Aires (city)

Belen from Chile

Hi greg, I think you should go to San Carlos de BarilocheEl BolsónSan Martin de los Andes. These places are beautiful and once you arrive there you can rent a car and do it by yourself. 

Also you can go by plane to the south and visit Usuahia

If you like wine, visiting Mendoza is a good option. You Will find mountains, sun and wine.

if you like party, stay from wednesday to sunday in Buenos Aires.

hope it helps!

good trip

1. San Carlos de Bariloche (city)
  2. El Bolsón (city)
  3. San Martin de los Andes (city)
  4. Usuahia (attraction)
  5. Mendoza (attraction)
  6. Buenos Aires (city)

Carolina from Veracruz

I spent 10 days there and loved it, started with Buenos Aires, then coming down to the end of the world, Ushuaia, to continue to Calafate to visit the glaciers, and visit again Buenos Aires, I would definitely add a visit to Iguazú Falls falls and Bariloche :)

1. Buenos Aires (city)
  2. Ushuaia (city)
  3. Calafate (neighborhood)
  4. Bariloche (metro area)
  5. Iguazú Falls (attraction)

Vidhya from Atlanta

Greg,

We did a 2 week trip to Argentina in 2012. We flew into Buenos Aires and took a 3 hour flight to Ushuaia which is at the southern tip of Argentina. We took a. 3 days adventure cruise on Australis and after that visited/hiked Patagonia (Argentina) for 3 days. From there, we then went to El Calafate and hiked Glaciar Perito Moreno glacier (2 days) and returned to BA. Spent 3 days in BA before ending the trip

1. Buenos Aires (city)
  2. Ushuaia (city)
  3. Patagonia (Argentina) (metro area)
  4. El Calafate (city)
  5. Glaciar Perito Moreno (attraction)

Laura from Buenos Aires

We have beaches in Argentine but they are not the best, the sea is too cold! You better go to the mountains, to the waterfalls or the north. 

If you want to visit Patagonia you can go to Ushuaia and Calafate, 3 days for each is ok. You can also go to San Carlos de BarilocheVilla La Angostura and San Martin de los Andes, you can make that in one week also. You also have Mendoza which also has mountains, including the Aconcagua Summit, but it's a more arid landscape.

Ushuaia is the southest city of the continent, it's beatiful, surrounded by the Beagle channel and the mountains, you can sky in the winter or trekking, fishing and sightseeing in the summer. Calafate is where the Perito Moreno glaciar si located, this is a unique place in the world and it's worth a visit. 

Bariloche, La Angostura and San Martín, are cities located in the midle of beutiful mountains and lakes, I love them. 

And Mendoza is not in Patagonia but it's a wonderful province, the city is beautiful, the mountains are really near and there are other places to visit like San Rafael (Argentina). There you can find some of the best wines of the world and the wine cellars are incredible. 

And of course you HAVE to visit Buenos Aires, you just can't miss it. 

If you have any other question please ask. 

Glad you chose Argentine to visit, you won't regret it. 

1. Ushuaia (city)
  2. Calafate (neighborhood)
  3. San Carlos de Bariloche (city)
  4. Villa La Angostura (city)
  5. San Martin de los Andes (city)
  6. Mendoza (city)
  7. Aconcagua Summit (attraction)
  8. Perito Moreno (attraction)
  9. San Rafael (Argentina) (city)
  10. Buenos Aires (city)

Jesica from Miami

Hi Greg! yes, 2 weeks will be fine to see around.

For both places it will be nice to have more time, but 1 week in Buenos Aires and 1 week in Patagonia will be good. Argentina doesn't have many nice beaches, so I will not recommend to spend time and money trying to get there.

Buenos Aires is fun, there is a lot of places to go out. You should move in the touristic areas, and be careful with your personal belongings when you are in the street. And do not use back pockets to put money, wallet, etc. You need to be aware.

In Buenos Aires you should go to Puerto Madero, great restaurants and nice place. Also, Parlemo (Palermo Soho), there are restaurants, bars, nightclubs, great place to have fun and meet people.

If you like to see something more cultural, like a Tango Show, check Café Tortoni. It is more local, not so touristic, and it is beautiful. It is a cafe where famous writers and poets used to meet. There is a room in the back, where the have a small Tango show, and it it very nice, and also you can have dinner. It is cheaper than going to the famous shows, but for me has more history.

The South, it is amazing, every city, every place is beautiful. If you like mountains, you will enjoy Patagonia (Argentina).

1. Puerto Madero (attraction)
  2. Palermo Soho (attraction)
  3. Café Tortoni (restaurant)
  4. Patagonia (Argentina) (metro area)

Adriana from Argentina

Buenos Aires is very big city but there are subways, buses and taxies to move around. Puerto Madero is a great place to visit, I like strolling about early in the morning and  having breakfast after. La Bocais lively and colourful, full of antique stores and couples dancing tango. Going shopping is a nice experience: Santa Fe Ave, Alto Palermo Shopping Center RecoletaEl Rosedal is another place to visit. I also like to walk about the streets near the Recoleta CemeteryBuenos Aires Metropolitan Cathedral near the Cabildo and near Florida street (full of tourists) and   Plaza San Martin Suites. As you see there are a lot of places to visit and enjoy!!

1. Puerto Madero (attraction)
  2. La Boca (attraction)
  3. Alto Palermo Shopping Center (attraction)
  4. Recoleta (neighborhood)
  5. El Rosedal (attraction)
  6. Recoleta Cemetery (attraction)
  7. Buenos Aires Metropolitan Cathedral (attraction)
  8. Plaza San Martin Suites (hotel)

Melanie from Los Angeles

Hi Greg, 

I just spent a year traveling around South America and was in Argentina for a month. You are about to have an incredible adventure! Favorite spots were Iguazú Falls, El Bolsón, Calafate in Patagonia (Argentina) and a few others. For the beach you can even take the buque bus over to Uruguay...there is an incredible spot with no electricity the beach, just candle lit community. When are u planning to go? I have a business doing custom itineraries for people, promoting personal growth and well being...they are meant to be transformational. If you don't feel like doing the research and planning on your own, I'd be happy to put together an amazing itinerary including some of the best and unique spots to stay:) Feel free to email me at suddath.m@gmail.com. Wishing you an adventure of a lifetime!

1. El Bolsón (city)
  2. Calafate (neighborhood)
  3. Patagonia (Argentina) (metro area)
  4. Uruguay (country)
  5. Iguazú Falls (attraction)

Gabriel

The hill of the 7 colors is in the neighboring province of Jujuy, although most of the travel agencies in the province of Salta sell this destination, you can directly travel to Jujuy, plane, or take a remis jumps up Purmamarca ,
For example my hotel is attached to the hill of the 7 colors, and if you stay in this town these 65 km from Salinas Grandes, Everyday trucks that go out there, take you and bring you.
You can also visit Tilcara is to 22 km, also I recommend you go and visit the Humahuaca Hornocal 14 colors in a unique vastness and beauty

Ed from Salt Lake City

A big time saver in Argentina (and Uruguay) are the night buses.  Schedules are set for early AM arrivals so you don't blow valuable daytime/awake time in transit.  Your seat is nice cushy leather and reclines, there is a steward on board to serve hot dinner and breakfast (media lunas) and hand out pillows and blankets.  I was surprised when, after the video ended, our steward walked up with a bottle of Crown Royale and a real glass and asked, in English, if I would like a nightcap. You sleep the same time you are moving, it's very comfortable, and most of the fares are less than the cost of a hotel room, and a couple meals are thrown in!  This is how we made the trip from Montevideo to Salto (hot springs), to Iguazú Falls, and back to Buenos Aires.  Even more efficient than bullet trains IMO. BTW, we flew into Montevideo instead of Buenos Aires, because Uruguay does not impose a big tax on US passengers landing there like Argentina does (and we used half the miles).  When you cross the Rio La Plata by ferry, or farther north by bridge, there is no entry fee, only if you fly in and out.

1. Salto (city)
  2. Iguazú Falls (attraction)
  3. Montevideo (city)
  4. Buenos Aires (city)