Philippe
Pepingen

Philippe from Pepingen asked

Tips for a Road Trip across Argentina ?

Hi fellow travellers..!

A friend and I are starting to plan a road trip across Argentina and would like to receive some inspiration as to what part(s) of Argentina we can visit by car in about 10 to 12 days. 

But this will be our first time in South America. Our road trips mostly ends in a nice town/city to relax a final couple of days after our road adventure before heading home. This time I guess we'll end up in Buenos Aires. 

Any tips as what is possible in the time frame with a car and how to prioritise locations/regions to visit are most welcome. 

Both of us like big open spaces, hate tourist traps and are very much willing to connect with the locals. 

Muchas gracias !

PS: We have done road trips before; one across Europe (Brussels - Budapest - Milan - Cannes - Barcelona - Brussels) one across the US (from NYC to Portland, Oregon via the Oregon trail) and one across Morocco (over the Atlas mountains down to the desert). I speak Spanish. 

Argentina

Laura from Buenos Aires

Hi Philippe

I'm glad you chose Argentina, it's a beautifl country and I hope you'll enjoy your stay here. Here we have many places worth seeing and really different from one another. I'll recomend the places I love most. 

In the nort-east you have Iguazú Falls, you can go there from Buenos Aires through the litoral of the country which is humid and tropical, crossing the provinces of Entre Riosand Corrientes Province. You can do it in a day and a half I think and then you should stay 2 or 3 days to see the waterfalls. 

The nort-west is more arid and more related with other latinamerican countries like Peru and Bolivia. From Buenos Aires you can go to Salta, visit the capital, CafayateCachi and the Valles Calchaquies. Again it will take you a day and a half aprox. to get there and you'll need 3 or 4 days to travel around. If you choose this you should add a trip to San Salvador de Jujuy to visit, for instance, TilcaraPurmamarcaLa QuiacaSalinas Grandes. A full trip to Salta and Jujuy will take all the time you are planning to stay here, including 3 days in Buenos AIres. 

Also you could go to Mendoza, there are lots of great places to visit there. It's nearer from Buenos Aires, I think 12 hours. You can stay there a week more or less visiting the mountains, San Rafael (Argentina)Uspallata, etc. From Mendoza there's a shorter trip to San Juan Province and La Rioja Province where you can visit Ischigualasto Natural Park and Parque Nacional Talampaya, two true wonders of nature. 

If you want to visit the Patagonia (Argentina) you could go to San Carlos de BarilocheSan Martin de los Andes and Villa La Angostura, which are truellywonderful places. The trip there is longer so you'll have to stop for the night, maybe in Neuquen, but is absolutly worth it. 

To go to El Calafate or Ushuaia you should take a flight, they are too far away. 

And, of course, never forget to include 3 days at least in Buenos Aires

So... If I were you I'll choose Patagonia, Salta and Jujuy or Iguazu. 

Good luck

1. Iguazú Falls (attraction)
  2. Buenos Aires (city)
  3. Entre Rios (attraction)
  4. Corrientes Province (attraction)
  5. Salta (city)
  6. Cafayate (city)
  7. Cachi (city)
  8. Valles Calchaquies (attraction)
  9. San Salvador de Jujuy (city)
  10. Tilcara (city)
  11. Purmamarca (city)
  12. La Quiaca (city)
  13. Salinas Grandes (attraction)
  14. Mendoza (city)
  15. San Rafael (Argentina) (city)
  16. Uspallata (city)
  17. San Juan Province (attraction)
  18. La Rioja Province (attraction)
  19. Ischigualasto Natural Park (attraction)
  20. Parque Nacional Talampaya (attraction)
  21. Patagonia (Argentina) (metro area)
  22. San Carlos de Bariloche (city)
  23. San Martin de los Andes (city)
  24. Villa La Angostura (city)
  25. Neuquen (city)
  26. El Calafate (city)
  27. Ushuaia (city)
  28. Buenos Aires (city)
Christine from Auckland

Great answers from Laura. I'd do her suggested northern route if you're going in winter, or the southern route in summer. If you are going on ruta 40 (think Che Guevara-the classic road trip route) take a 4WD. It can be rough. If you are going south I wouldn't bother with Ushuaia but El Calafate and the Perito Moreno Glacier are fantastic. As she says that's serious driving from San Carlos de Bariloche. You could also consider looping back to BsAs via Puerto Madryn depending on the time of year you might see whales. Suerte!

1. Ushuaia (city)
  2. El Calafate (city)
  3. Perito Moreno Glacier (attraction)
  4. San Carlos de Bariloche (city)
  5. Puerto Madryn (attraction)