Michael

Argentina, Jujuy, Salta, El Cafayate, San Miguel de Tucuman, Fitz Roy, El Chalten, El Calafate, Tierra del Fuego Province, Argentina, Ushuaia

Itinerary and Flight help needed please

We are going to Argentina for 2 months in February. Below I jotted down an itinerary (4 places) that I gathered from research and comments on the forum. I need help with 2 things:

1. Is there overlap of the type of experience we will get in the 4 places? Meaning... will I get very similar experience in one of the stops in Place 2 as one of the stops in Place 3? Should I eliminate any of the stops in any of the places?

2. I will be flying (no buses) from each of the places. Can you please tell me the most convenient place to fly from in every one of the places. (Ex: Am I flying from BA to Jujuy or Salta, and so on.)

Itinerary
---------------
Place 1: Buenos Aires - 3 weeks

Place 2: 7 days
Quebrada de Humahuaca (salt flats) - road 40
Jujuy
Calchaquies - Valleys
Salta
Cafayate
San Miguel de Tucumán

Place 3: 6 days
Fitz Roy
El Chalten * hike
El Calafate *
Glaciar Perito Moreno - Glacier
Parque Nacional Los Glaciares
Torres del Paine (Chile)??

Place 4: 4 days
Tierra del Fuego - National Park
Ushuaia

Thank you!

Michael

Angela

HI Michael,

Wow! Your itinerary is wonderful!!!

Regarding airports, you will have few options as Argentina is not the United States- in BA you will arrive at Ezeiza International Airportand probably will leave towards the North from Aeroparque Jorge Newbery which is totally fine. After that, you will have no options. One airport for each city-place. Now about places:

Place 2- distances are huge. All places are amazing. keep it as is.

Place 3- Fitz Roy is by El Chalten, a small town founded a couple of decades ago. El Calafate is the bigger town close to the airport and close to the Perito Moreno Glacier. Torres del Paine is very close by in Chile. The whole trip makes sense. No repeats, you will NOT get similar experiences in my opinion. I know all the places you are visiting. Think of the enormous glaciers from the ice age pounding Patagonia with their weight. Fitz Roy is a massive block of orange granite that stood its ground against such forces. 

Place 4- Tierra del Fuego Province, Argentina was crushed by the glaciers- again very different. Make sure you ask about how the Onas Hostel & Suites, original people of the area were also crushed (hunted down) by English sheep farmers. The Fuego part comes from those people making fires on the coasts.

1. Argentina (country)
  2. United States (country)
  3. Ezeiza International Airport (attraction)
  4. Aeroparque Jorge Newbery (attraction)
  5. Fitz Roy (attraction)
  6. El Chalten (city)
  7. El Calafate (city)
  8. Perito Moreno (attraction)
  9. Torres del Paine (city)
  10. Chile (country)
  11. Tierra del Fuego Province, Argentina (state)
  12. Onas Hostel & Suites (hotel)

Christine from Auckland

Hi Michael

Sounds good. Personally I would spend more time in Place 3 and do the Torres del Paine and miss Ushuaia(which is Ok) but the El Calafate region is amazing.

I travelled around the south on ex air Force Airline: Lada, which I'm not sure if I'm recommending. It was certainly an experience and given the air force's history a little disconcerting. To give you an idea - there are additional stops en-route they don't tell you about, I was often the only passenger, (plus a couple of dead-head pilots) and in one stop they told me they would be an hour, but came to find me in the cafeteria half an hour later, to drag me away from my lunch and were ready to go. We wandered out onto the tarmac with the crew member that came to find me, I got on and off we went. If you decide to do it, you will have stories to tell your friends. I suggest you go in and do the booking in person, their schedule is flexible, and you may need a bit of Spanish. 

Enjoy it

Christine

1. Torres del Paine (city)
  2. Ushuaia (city)
  3. El Calafate (city)