Idan
Tel Aviv

Idan from Tel Aviv asked

Itinerary For Andalucia Trip?

I'm planning a family trip (6 people, from 22 to 60), in the area of Andalucia from Sep 30 to October 7.

Landing and flying out of Malaga.

After a bit of research I was thinking about the following itinerary :

Sep 30 - Landing around 19:00 and Spending the night in Malaga.

October 1 - Morning drive to Ronda and spending the night there. Maybe taking the car and driving to some inner villages. 

October 2 -  Drive to Cadiz and Arcos de la Frontera.

October 3 - Morning drive to Sevilla and spending 2 nights there. (Visiting the Alcazar,Cathedral, Gerald Tower and Barrio Santa cruz and just exploring the city)

October 5 - Morning drive to Granda and spending 2 nights there. (Alhambra, Albayzín, Sacromonte, Alcaiceria)

October 7 - Morning drive to Malaga, but on our way going through some Alpujarran villages, and leave the car at the airport.

Couple of questions :

1. Does this Itinerary make sense ? Would you optimize it somehow ?

2. I'm not exactly sure how to plan October 2-3 and what exactly do to there. Any tips ?

3. Would it make sense to do it by car or by public transportation ? 

4. I basically skipped Malaga. Is that fine or am I missing something ?

Andalucía (Spain)   Malaga (Spain)   Seville (Spain)   Granada (Spain)

Marla from Scottsville

Of the cities you mention, I've only been to Granada.  But I LOVED it.  Please make sure you allow enough time at each of the places you listed there.  I highly recommend hiring a private guide and taking your time at the Alhambra.  In the areas of the Albayzin and Sacromonte, you'll want to take your time and wander through them.  That's the charm!  We stayed at a B & B in the Albayzin and that was great.  My husband and I also visited the Turkish Bath in Granada and loved it.  We also went on a day trip to an olive farm and did an olive oil tasting.  Great!  Just so much to do!  Have a blast!

1. Granada (city)
  2. Alhambra (attraction)
  3. Albayzin (attraction)
  4. Sacromonte (attraction)

Hi Idan,

That's a nice itinerary! We were in the Malaga area a couple of weeks ago and, to get the most out of the region, you will need a car. I think I would do a loop from Malaga to Granada first, maybe diverting to Frigiliana for lunch in El Mirador (views to die for) Grenada is only a little over an hour's drive from Malaga but it's worth spending a night there. I would then go to Cordoba (Spain) and from there on to Seville. Definitely spend at least 2-3 days in Seville. From Seville you could drive to Jerez de la Frontera and spend a night there, Cádiz is close by for a day trip. I would spend the last night in Ronda before driving to the airport in Malaga the journey is about 1 hour 40 mins. Malaga is quite a nice town too with lots of nice restaurants but one night should be enough. There are some nice, unspoilt coastal drives and beaches to the east of Malaga and Nerja which might be worth a night . Weather in early October should be pretty good and quite warm.

Idan
Thanks a lot! I was wondering, seems like you suggested more of less the same route as me (just skipping a night in granada in favor of Cordoba). But you suggest doing it the other way, and finish in Ronda. Any specific reason ? Plus, why sleeping in Jerez and not in Cadiz ?

Maria
Hi Idan, It just made more sense to me as an easier drive, taking in mind the distances between towns on the route. I think Jerez is a nicer town but both are good. Have a great trip. Andalucia will be lovely in Oct.

1. Malaga (city)
  2. Granada (city)
  3. Frigiliana (city)
  4. Cordoba (Spain) (city)
  5. Seville (city)
  6. Jerez de la Frontera (attraction)
  7. Cádiz (attraction)
  8. Ronda (city)
  9. Malaga (city)
  10. Malaga (city)
  11. Malaga (city)
  12. Nerja (city)
David from Birmingham, United Kingdom

There's nothing of interest in Malaga but you MUST see the Cathedral-Mosque of Córdoba. Hire a car- would be difficult by public transport.

Pam
I'm not sure how long it's been since you've been to Malaga, but I completely disagree with you! I've been here 4 months and absolutely love Malaga. There's at least two full days of things to see and enjoy here, and the people and views are lovely! I know that's not always been the case, but this city has really grown up.

1. Malaga (city)
  2. Cathedral-Mosque of Córdoba (attraction)