Edwin

Andalucía

4 days in Andalucia before 3 day work trip in Marbella

I will be flying with my (then 6 month pregnant) wife from Singapore to Malaga, reaching on a Saturday and I will have until Tuesday before I go for meetings in Marbella (might have Saturday back in Malaga but unconfirmed). Wanted to ask for recommendations for my itinerary in terms of the cities? I guess realistically, my options are Malaga, Granada and Cordoba? Not looking to spend too much but still open to suggestions!

Julie from York

Hi Edwin

Some great recommendations here, and I'd also add Ronda into the mix. It's a pretty town with plenty of amenities for visitors, and you can easily spend a few nights there. It's also not too far from the coast - you could do it as a day trip if you preferred.

Have a great trip!

Kind regards

Julie

1. Ronda (attraction)

Beatrice from Montreal

I went in Malaga and Granada. I personnally LOVED Granada.

Malaga: I only stayed one night there, so my opinion is limited. The beach is very ordinary. The town is pretty though, and there's a good vibe.

Granada: It is not a big town so it's very different from like Calle Barcelona. But it's such a pretty place! It feels like it's spanish and arabic at the same time. I fell in love with Albayzin (the "old city") with its little streets, white houses, etc. There's also the Alhambra that you must see, so beautiful. You can visit caves where some people are actually living. Also, there's a lot a street art. 

This is a very small description of what I liked and saw there, but you should definitely go there. It's my favorite place in Spain.

1. Malaga (city)
  2. Granada (city)
  3. Calle Barcelona (attraction)
  4. Albayzin (attraction)
  5. Alhambra (attraction)

Mary from Leicester

1. Malaga itself is a very historical (and pleasant) city, with its own Roman remains, its alcazabar & gibalfero, museums, ancient cathedral and plenty of interesting streets to wander. It's that's definitely worth one whole day of exploration.  

2. You can take the excellent Alsa long-distance bus from Malaga to Granada. Buses are comfortable and safe and, in this case, faster than the train. Granada bus station is some distance from its historical centre so you'll need a local bus to get in. If you want to visit the Alhambra you really should book tickets in advance online: site visitor numbers are restricted daily and entry to the Nasrid palaces section is only by timed ticket, with even more restricted numbers.

Alsa site in English (routes, timetables, fares, online booking if you wish):

https://www.alsa.es/en/

Official Alhambra online tickets:

http://www.alhambra-patronato.es/index.php/Ticket-Sale/49+M5d637b1e38d/0/  (click 'Individual Tourism').

3. You could take the Alsa bus to Cordoba (Spain) but the timetable won't really give you enough time to explore. Much better to take the train. Train times, details and fares in English on the official site:

http://www.renfe.com/

There are often online advance discount fares, as there are for this route, so it's worth buying your tickets in advance via the Renfe site. 

4. Other potential day visits include:

Nerja, a very pleasant and relaxing seaside 'village' from where you can visit the its well-known caves or take a local bus for the short trip up to the 'white village' of Frigiliana.

Alsa bus from Malaga to Nerja (lots of buses, no need to book tickets in advance) then local bus to Frigiliana. Info here:

http://www.nerjatoday.com/nerja/bus-timetables/

Almuñécar, a pleasant seaside town with Roman ruins, an interesting old centre, museums and a rather good 'castle'. Alsa bus from Malaga.

Antequera. A less-visited town which is called the 'heart of Andalucia'. It has a lovely Medieval centre with plenty of interesting churches, museums & buildings. Train from Malaga. 

Enjoy your planning! :-)

1. Malaga (city)
  2. Granada (city)
  3. Cordoba (Spain) (city)
  4. Nerja (city)
  5. Frigiliana (city)
  6. Almuñécar (attraction)
  7. Antequera (city)