Shaheen

Andalucía, Spain

Romantic getaway in the south of Spain?

Which romantic accomodation in south of Spain do you recommened to stay in for a week in October? 

Hjörtur from Copenhagen

Pretty much all of  Andalucía is romantic. I love Sevilla, it tops the list of romantic cities for me with the  Seville Cathedral (the third largest in the world and one of three places claiming to have the remains of Christopher Columbus), the beautiful  Plaza de EspañaParque de María Luisa where you can let the white pigeons eat from your hand, and the charming old  Barrio Santa Cruz neighbourhood by the cathedral. 

If you want to try something really different, you might like to consider renting one of the old cave houses around the Alhambra palace. I rented one 10 years ago that was exactly opposite to the palace so we had a very romantic view over the lit palace at night. I can't find the exact same one, but there are some on airbnb.

I highly recommend taking a drive out to Ronda, a small village in the mountains close to Malaga, where you will find one of Spains oldest bull rings ( Plaza de Toros de Ronda). The town it self is built on the edge of a magnificent canyon - and when I say on the edge, I mean literally on the edge!

1. Andalucía (state)
  2. Seville Cathedral (attraction)
  3. Plaza de España (attraction)
  4. Ronda (city)
  5. Parque de María Luisa (attraction)
  6. Barrio Santa Cruz (attraction)
  7. Plaza de Toros de Ronda (attraction)

Cindy from Milwaukee

http://www.vrbo.com/181071

The most amazing small house in Granada. A great place to experience the romance of Alhambra and the culture of the Albayzin. The owner is local and a treasure trove of knowledge in the area. She speaks English, French, and Spanish. They have another small apartment near Seville, I think.

1. Granada (city)
  2. Alhambra (attraction)

Pim from Amersfoort

If you have enough budget I can recommend AlmaSevilla Hotel Palacio de Villapanes Sevilla (in Seville). 
For a lower budget and outside the city you might like; Hotel Fuerte Grazalema (http://www.fuertehoteles.com/hotel/fuerte-grazalema/).A basic, comfortable hotel in a nature reserve; Sierra de Grazalema. 
Great place, great views. Restaurant not really recommendable. 

Suzanne from Brooklyn

I just returned from the MOST romantic visit to Andalucia!

If you stay in Granada, please check out hotel Hotel Cerro del Sol.  It's just outside of the city and perched on a hilltop overlooking the Sierra Nevadas.  It was absolutely lovely.  The room we stayed in had a giant jacuzzi.  The restaurant and swimming pool overlooks the mountains.  Just stunning.  Definitely check out the Alhambra, but make sure you buy tickets at least 2 weeks in advance and don't miss your entrance time.  We took the bus, which was a short walk from the hotel.  I believe you take the 33 from there, then transfer to the 30 for the Alhambra.  What a magical place.

The absolute best part of our trip was staying in the town of Gaucín a gorgeous white village in the mountains just west of Malaga and south west of Ronda. We stayed at La Fructuosa Hotel.  The website really doesn't do it justice.  The view from our suite was absolutely breathtaking.  We would have stayed an extra night if we could have cancelled our hotel in Seville.  Absolutely the most romantic place I've ever visited.  The weather was perfect, the drive through the mountains was quite the sight and the people of the village were warm and welcoming.  I would go back here in a heartbeat.

Seville was ok, but traffic getting into the city and to our hotel was a bit discouraging.  We only stayed the night and got the hell out of dodge early the next day.  If we were to do things differently, and keep it more on the romantic side, we definitely would have skipped it.  There were a few highlights.  The hotel we stayed at was so beautiful.  A fun maze of lovely gardens and underground tunnels.   Hotel Las Casas de la Judería Very romantic.  The room was a bit outdated and small, but the bathroom was large (basically the same size as the room) with a nice jacuzzi tub.  Walking through the winding stone alleys at night and seeing the cathedral were definitely the hightlight of our time there. 

We also spent a few VERY romantic days in Portugal.  Ask me anything!

1. Hotel Cerro del Sol (hotel)
  2. Alhambra (attraction)
  3. Gaucín (city)
  4. Ronda (city)
  5. La Fructuosa Hotel (hotel)
  6. Hotel Las Casas de la Judería (hotel)

Victoria from Riga

Reales Alcázares de SevillaMust-see one day Courtyard in the Alcazar - Seville. Your pictures would be pretty amazing.

1. Reales Alcázares de Sevilla (attraction)

Philip from London

Granada. Also check out Nerja and some of the villages that run along the coast. 

1. Granada (city)
  2. Nerja (city)

Terry from Honaunau, Hawaii

There is so much to see and explore in Andalucía.  The get a taste of that part of Spain I would suggest you stay in more than one area and stay in Paradores, owned by the Spanish government.  Start near Seville in the Parador in Carmona, a a 14th century Arabic fortress that sits on a hill.  Then go on to Ronda and stay in the Parador, the former town hall located next to a 328 foot gorge. Then end in the most popular Parador in Spain, located in the Alhambra in Granada, a 15th century convent.  

1. Andalucía (state)
  2. Seville (city)
  3. Ronda (city)
  4. Alhambra (attraction)
  5. Granada (city)