Daniel
Durango

Anchorage

Ski trip this winter, stay in Anchorage or Girdwood?

I'm taking a ski trip this winter to Alyeska. Is Anchorage a cool city or should I go for the small town scene in Girdwood?

Robert Glenn from Manhattan Beach

Anchorage is a good distance (1hr + in winter driving conditions) from Girdwood. You want to stay in Girdwood and enjoy the local community. Have dinner one night Double Musky Inn (local, legendary) and also splurge on a meal at the Seven Glaciers Restaurant restaurant on top of the mountain. The Alyeska Hostel is the high end accommodation, but there are other, less expensive lodges near the base of the mountain. You may also find some houses rental-available. Just FYI, there is a large population of women in Girdwood, so locals often joke it is Girliewood.

1. Girdwood (city)
  2. Seven Glaciers Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Double Musky Inn (restaurant)
  4. Alyeska Hostel (hotel)

Valerie from Seattle

Daniel, I'm jealous! I'm headed to Alaska in a few weeks, but I'd love to take a ski trip.

I don't know how long your trip is, but I'd recommend only 1-2 days in Anchorage, and the rest of your time in Alyeska. A couple reasons for this:

1. The Seward Highway Buffer Parks South is not a super safe road, and the fewer trips you take, the better, especially in winter.
  2. The main things you'd want to see in Anchorage (the Saturday Saturday Market - right downtown, not sure why the map is being so weird -, dinner at the Hotel Captain Cook or Moose's Tooth Pub & Pizzeria, etc.) can easily be done in 1-2 days anyway!

Instead, spend the time in Alyeska. You can have dinner at Jack Sprat, ride the tram up to Seven Glaciers Restaurant, and more, without wasting a big part of the day driving... especially if you're a fan of night skiing!

1. Seward Highway Buffer Parks South (attraction)
  2. Saturday Market (attraction)
  3. Hotel Captain Cook (hotel)
  4. Moose's Tooth Pub & Pizzeria (restaurant)
  5. Alyeska (city)
  6. Jack Sprat (restaurant)
  7. Seven Glaciers Restaurant (restaurant)

Joe

Girdwood is fun and has several different restaurant styles available. 

1. Girdwood (city)