Dinesh

Amsterdam

i am planning to go to Amsterdam in august for 10 days.

i am panning to go to Amsterdam in august  for 15 days. Since I have never been to Europe, am planning to go to Amsterdam in august for days know which other nearby countries or cities I should travel to? with our one year old with son.travel by train,I don't intend to visit all of Europe in one trip. So my question is that I wanted to the know the easy and best option to visit places nearby Amsterdam? .please give some suggestion, Thank you in advance for your time

Sean from Hudson Valley

Hello Dinesh,

Surprisingly, Amsterdam opens you up to a good deal of Europe.

First, right next door to Amsterdam is the town of Haarlem.  It's only about 15 minutes by train.  It just as lovely, but a slightly slower pace and a bit quieter.  In fact, when I go to Amsterdam, this is where I actually stay.

Since you'll be going in August, you have the option of taking the train to Zandvoort.  It's a beachside resort town that I often visit, even in the off seasons.

Don't neglect the Dutch countryside.  most of it accessible by train, or bicycle.

Belgium is always a winner.  The capital city of Brussels host some wonderful museums, great food, and the best beer anywhere.

The town of Bruges is a UNESCO world heritage site.  The medieval town center if worth the trip alone. 

From Amsterdam, Paris may be accessible by high speed train.

Finally, one place that's surprisingly easy to get to is London.  The airfare from Amsterdam to London inly runs about 50 Euros each way, and you'll be in and out of the airports in less than 2 hours.

Happy travels!

Jacqui from London

Hi Dinesh, 

AmsterdamAmsterdam is so much fun! You can see most of it in four-five days and then take a train to Brussels (2 hours away) and Paris (4 hours away). Cologne is also nearby.

Find out more to do in Amsterdam, here: http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/category/europe/western-europe/the-netherlands/

You could also visit London (2 hours from Paris) and find lots of things to do with your son - like visit the Natural History Museum, a ferry ride along the River Thames, or a day at the pebble beach in Brighton (England)

I hope you enjoy your trip! 

Jacqui 

1. Amsterdam (city)
  2. Brussels (city)
  4. Cologne (city)
  6. Natural History Museum (attraction)
  7. River Thames (attraction)
  8. Brighton (England) (city)

Jose from Marina Del Rey

Well its easy to travel from Amsterdam. You can take the rail to Brussels and Paris. There are inexpensive flights as well to reach Barcelona as well.

Sara

Hi Dinesh, 

If you visit Amsterdam I would advise Utrecht or Amersfoort. Both smaller cities then Amsterdam but with a beautiful historic city center. In August, the wheater will be pretty sunny (although, you knever know here!) so you can also visit the beach for a day like Zandvoort. For a more touristic day I highly recommend the Zaanse Schans, only 20 min by train from Amsterdam, were you can visit the windmills and typical old dutch village.  

Hope this helps! Have fun, 

- Sara

Rob from Sittard

Hello Dinesh,

Maybe...

Holland:

- Utrecht

- Den haag

- Rotterdam

- 's-Hertogenbosch

- Maastricht

Belgium:

- Antwerpen

Germany:

- Cologne

- Dusseldorf

Sunita from Johannesburg, South Africa

Hi there, you can visit BrusselsBruges,Antwerp ,Namur. These Belgian cities are worth the stop while visiting the Netherlands. 

1. Brussels (city)
  2. Bruges (city)
  3. Antwerp (city)
  4. Namur (city)