Yii

Amsterdam

Where / which hotel should I stay?

Which area should I stay so it is easier for me to walk around to museum and central station? 

Janelle from Charleston

I'd recommend Jordaan.  It's close to the city centre and the museums, but it's a largely residential area so it's quiet at night.  The Hotel Nadia is a good budget hotel and the Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam is a fantastic high-end hotel.  Both hotels are right across the street from the Anne Frank House, and the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam and Van Gogh Museum are about a 15-20 minute walk.  Centraal Station is a 10-15 minute walk from Jordaan.

I find biking to be a much easier way to get around Amsterdam than walking.  Pedestrians are constantly having to look over their shoulders to avoid being hit by bikers, and since cars and bikers have the right of way over pedestrians it can mean a long time spent waiting to cross the street. Bike rentals are cheap and easy to find, and finding a place to park the bike whilst you're off somewhere is easy.

1. Jordaan (attraction)
  2. Hotel Nadia (hotel)
  3. Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam (hotel)
  4. Anne Frank House (attraction)
  5. Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (attraction)
  6. Van Gogh Museum (attraction)
  7. Centraal Station (attraction)

Shrirang from Pune
  • You should stay at close to the station as possible so that carrying the luggage to your hotel is easy. Also, if you move around in Europe by train, that becomes easier too. If you land at Schipol airport, the airport is well connected to the station.
  • Look for a hotel that provides free internet.
  • You can have breakfast at the hotel or any cafe. Generally the breakfast at hotel turns out to be expensive (I am talking about Amsterdam only)
  • Renting a bicycle in Amsterdam is a great option. Otherwise, public transport in Amsterdam is not exactly cheap (unlike the rest of Europe).
  • The last but not the least, be prepared to walk a lot with a map in hand. That's quite pleasant too.

Lorraine

I have stayed at the =Owl Hotel (in Roemer Visscherstraat)-it is in the cultural museum quarter-walking distance to the Rijksmuseum AmsterdamVondelpark Rijksmuseum, Vondel Park, etc, close to Heineken Brewery if a tour interests you. Short walk to Leidseplein with great restaurants and nightlife. Canals close by if a canal boat tour interests.A lot within walking distance but the trams are close by as well. The Owl is probably about 3 star-it's in converted historic building in a lovely street-charming. I found the staff extremely helpful, the breakfasts were good. From the station, you can catch a tram into the Leidsplein (luggage on trams allowed) and then the hotel is only a short walk. The hotel will be happy to give you directions.

1. Owl Hotel (hotel)
  2. Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (attraction)
  3. Vondelpark (attraction)