varun
India

Amsterdam

When is the best time to visit Amsterdam?

I want to go to Amsterdam but am puzzled by when to visit this lovely place on this planet. How many days are required to visit the whole city?

Jenna from Oakville, Ontario

Hi Varun! 

That's a tough question, I found that Amsterdam was very similar to Southern Canada and Northern USA when it came to weather. If you enjoy the colder weather, I would suggest going during the fall to watch the leaves change color - it also makes for wonderful photographs! :D 

Best, 
Jenna 
http://www.giveforgranted.com

1. Amsterdam (city)

A good friend of mine is from Amsterdam.  He says the absolute best time is May-tulips are in bloom, weather is comfortable and the crowds haven't arrived.  He recommends one week-but taking some day trips outside the city.

Mattheijs from Groningen

You will need at least 5 days. Best time is from April until September. 

Elise from Amsterdam

Hi Varun, my favorite month is usually September, I find the weather quite nice. Months I'd avoid would be October, November, December, January, February, March. There's not enough sunlight during those months. Spring and summer don't guarantee good weather. As a general rule, weather in the Netherlands has about the same reputation as weather in the UK. 

Concerning the length of your stay, if you're travelling in Europe and visiting  multiple destinations, 2-3 days could be enough. But if you won't be travelling in Europe but would come directly from India just to visit Amsterdam, you could spend two weeks in the Netherlands. Maybe one week in Amsterdam and a second week making small excursions by train, visiting other Dutch cities (Den Haag, Utrecht) or Belgian cities (Brugges, Brussels).