Uma

Amsterdam

When is the best time of year to visit Amsterdam?

I'm wondering what is the best time to travel Amsterdam?  

Glen from Buenos Aires, Argentina

Spring is one of my favourites. Early spring is still a bit cold, but tulips are mind blowing too! you can see the tulip fields and enjoy the great city in the same trip. Later in the spring is quite warmer, you can enjoy several of the parks Amsterdam offers. Going out and party is available the whole year! during spring and summer you have a lot more concerts and festivals in open spaces to enjoy.

Cristina from Brussels

I visited Amsterdam many times, all year around and you just need to adapt your schedule to the weather and you will have fun (there are so many things to see and do there). Like any place on this Earth the best is when the sun is out, it's not too hot and so on. But I was there once when it was snowing and it was marvelous. Just go and have fun, weather is unpredictable in this part of Europe.

Sabine from Amsterdam

Hi Uma, a lot of people are suggesting spring and autumn, but I would say summer actually. Amsterdam never gets TOO hot, like other European capitals like Rome or Madrid. Although it might be a bit busier in the city, for me it means it is more lively. If the weather is nice, people go outside, sit on the terraces, go BBQ in the park etc. It might get reaalllyy busy in the weekends in summer, so if you have the chance, try to avoid the weekends.

Maxime from Barcelona

According to me, It is in the end of the month of April because there is Kingsday and that an incredible event !

Teddy from Caracas

I've been in spring and autumn and I think that is the best time

September. The weather is still nice, most tourists have gone but the city is still buzzing. I also love Amsterdam in December, when it is very cold but the city adjusts to the cold, with candlelight, warm cafes and, best of all: rum and hot chocolate!

1. Amsterdam (city)

Wanda from Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hi Uma, nice to 'see' you here, how are you? ;) Best is to visit Amsterdam during the warmer months. Summer is from June to August, but April/May would also be nice. There are lots of festivals and open air theater in the park during summer months and lots of nice bars and restaurants that are more fun with nicer weather. If you want to experience colder Dutch days and nights, you should come from November to March and you can go ice-skating (when you're lucky even on the canals!).

Sandrine from Auvergne

I would say April/May or maybe late September.... definitely not in February it's too cold... same for nov to Feb...

Kim from Elizabeth (New Jersey)

We went in mid-September and it was BEAUTIFUL and very lively. 

Marijke from Amsterdam

Hi Uma, August is great with a lot of festivals (e.g. grachtenfestival) in the city. September is also nice. Although you always have a chance on rain. End of April, May and June are also good.

Dana from Amsterdam

I think each season has its charm, but maybe it's better to visit when the days are longer and there are more chances for the weather to be nice: from April till September (although in October the city gets such lovely autumn colours!)

lisa from Amsterdam

May or september