Cellan
Wales

Amsterdam

Unusual stuff to do in Amsterdam?

Hi guys- on the way to Amsterdam. Any suggestions on what to do and see. Hidden gems are welcome! We are looking to see some cool and unusual stuff. Would also like to check out some nice restaurants and nice rustic places to eat.

Lauren from Chicago

Cellan,

Make sure to spend some time walking around the Nine Little Streets area (De Negen Straatjes). We had a great breakfast at Singel 404 and then walked around the area. My husband and I found some great shops and restaurants around there like Madame de Pompadour for sweets, De Kaaskamer for cheese, olives, and other picnic necessities, Dr. Wonen and De Weldaad - Reestraat for unique decorative gifts.

1. Nine Little Streets (attraction)
  2. Singel 404 (restaurant)
  3. Madame de Pompadour (restaurant)
  4. De Kaaskamer (attraction)
  5. Dr. Wonen (attraction)
  6. De Weldaad - Reestraat (attraction)

Sabine from Amsterdam

As of Wednesday the 13th of May there is the 'rollende keukens' (rolling kitchens) festival at the Westerpark. 100 something foodtrucks, music, drinks, I love it. it is not so unusual though because it is always really busy (not with tourists though).

For places to eat I will copy paste a piece of one of my previous answers:

I really like The Lobby Restaurant & Bar. This centrally located restaurant has a great atmosphere all types of people go here and the food is amazing. 

Restaurant ANNA is a really good (star quality) restaurant in the middle of the red light district. 

If you like steak, go to one of the Café Loetje restaurants. There are several in town. They have the best steak ever! Really ever! So tender and the gravy is heavenly. It is always really busy here every day of the week, you can't reserve at most Loetje Restaurants. 

de Biertuinis the place where you meetup with friends and hang out on the terrace and eat great hamburgers or chicken. Really the place to be for a good meal and loads of different kind of beers! 

Try to avoid any of the restaurants at Damrak, Rokin or Damstraat or that area. Tourist trap! Bad quality! Only a few places are worth visiting like The Lobby Restaurant & Bar and Restaurant ANNAwhich I mentioned.

1. Westerpark (neighborhood)