Christene
Kansas City (Missouri)

Amsterdam

Transportation

Hi all! I will be in Amsterdam for a layover. Given that it will still be in March and chilly, I am not planning on pulling an all nighter. Does it make sense to stay near the airport so I can just wake up, hop on a shuttle and catch my 10:30 AM flight? Is there good transportation back to the airport area from the Museum/Center area of Amsterdam? Another perk: I get great, cheap rooms near the airport with an Employee discount.

Alikn from Montreal

The train into Amsterdam from Schiphol airport is only 15 minutes. It's worthwhile to find a cheaper place in a town and wander a bit, especially since you wouldn't have to be back at the airport until 8am.  You can do a lot in Amsterdam in a short amount of time and transportation back to the airport by train is a breeze. I've done the layover there twice and never had issues getting back to the airport in time for my flight. 

Have a doner kebab....Döner Company right outside the train station in Amsterdam :)

1. Döner Company (restaurant)

Leoni from Utrecht

Hi Christene,

There is good transportation from the center/museum area of Amsterdam to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. From the museum area you can take the tram or bus service to the central station of Amsterdam. At the train station is a train service that during the night leaves every hour and during the day (from 5.30 AM-ish) leaves every 10-15 minutes. It takes you to the airport in about 15 minutes. You can check the departures at www.ns.nl (available in english). But be sure to leave on time, because the NS (national railway service) sometimes doesn't run that smooth. You will need an OV-card (public transport card) though, but you can get one at the airport. Tip: get an Amsterdam Travel Ticket (available on the site above). This will cost you €15 and you'll get a return ticket Schiphol - Amsterdam central station and unlimited travel on all public transport in Amsterdam. To compare: a return ticket alone is €8,20. But it's up to you and if you're planning on staying within walking distance of the train station, just buy a return ticket.

I hope this is enough information for you!

1. Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (attraction)

Joeri from Utrecht

The best way is to take the train between Centraal Station, Amsterdam and Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. The airport has the great advantage its own trainstation on one of the main lines. 

The trip takes about 15 minutes and costs € 4,10 one way. During day time they run 6x an hour, during the night hours 1x an hour (at xx.17).

From the airport there are shuttles or taxis to your airport hotel.

1. Centraal Station, Amsterdam (attraction)
  2. Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (attraction)

Wanda from Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hi Christene,

The transportation to the center of Amsterdam and the airport is very good and very fast. It's only 10 minutes by train! If I were you I'd stay in the city, because there's really nothing to do around the airport. Especially  because your flight is at 10.30, so plenty of time to have some sleep and get there early.

Marijke from Amsterdam

If you've never been to Amsterdam, please go and see at least a bit of the city! The airport is really close to the city centre. I would say by train 30 minutes (to be on the safe side). Around Amsterdam Centraal there are a lot of options of cheap rooms. Don't stay around the airport, you would really miss out!

1. Amsterdam Centraal (attraction)

Sabine from Amsterdam

Hi Christine, 

Too bad you are only in Amsterdam for a layover :-). The city of Amsterdam is very close to the airport (not like Londen or Paris or any other main city in Europe). Within 15 minutes by train you arrive at Amsterdam Centraal which is in the city center. Trains go every 10 minutes or so. Just wake up early and you will get to see something of my beautiful city :-). OR if you really don't feel like taking the train and would want to stay near the airport I would recommend a hotel that is really AT the airport such as Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, Hilton Amsterdam, Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center or citizenM hotel Amsterdam. These are actually the only ones within 5 min walking distance. If you take any other 'airport hotel' you will have to take a shuttle which also takes you like 10 minutes, probably you have to wait for them as well and then you could have just as well taken the train and be at Amsterdam Central :-). 

Have a good trip! 

Joyce from Tiel

Hi Christene! The transportation at Amsterdam Schiphol Airportl is really well organized! You can take trains, busses and taxi to the city centre! You can use the website http://www.9292ov.nl to see what is the most efficient way to Amsterdam city. The train costs about 5 euro one way. You can be in 20 minutes from Museum Square to the airport from 4 o clock in the night (with the night bus...) and by day with the tram and train also in about 20 minutes.

So it makes no sense to stay near the airport! Its only cheaper.

2. Amsterdam (city)