Shilpi

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Places to visit close to Amsterdam?

Which neighboring places are worth visiting near Amsterdam (the trip is for 3 days)?

Sabine from Amsterdam

It really depends on when you will be going. The beach is pretty close. So if you are here with nice weather, go to Bloemendaal or Zandvoort. There are lost of nice beachbars to hangout and party at night like Beachclub Bloomingdaleor Rapa Nui

Haarlem, in between the beach and Amsterdam is also a lovely beautiful small city to visit. 

You can also go to Den Haag, which is approximately 1 hour by train. This is the city where our government sits. And again, if the weather is nice you could go to the beach at Scheveningen

I would also recommend Utrechtas a nice city to visit, but for me, it doesn't top Amsterdam at all. 

If I were you I would skip the tourist traps like Volendam, Marken and Zaanse Schans. They will show you 'Typically Dutch' surroundings/villages, but busloads of tourists isn't really my idea of typically Dutch. 

1. Bloemendaal (city)
  2. Zandvoort (attraction)
  3. Beachclub Bloomingdale (attraction)
  4. Rapa Nui (restaurant)
  5. Haarlem (attraction)
  6. Den Haag (attraction)
  7. Scheveningen (city)
  8. Utrecht (city)

Do you want to visit another city? There is plenty to do in Amsterdam for 3 days, but, if you want a little trip away, I would recommend Utrecht It can be reached by train in under 30 minutes from Amsterdam. It is a really lovely place, with lots of canals and a medieval centre. Utrecht is also a university city with a young population and lots of lively nightlife

1. Amsterdam (city)
  2. Utrecht (city)

The Alkmaar weekly cheese market is fun and if you have a car, head to Kinderdijk for the scenery. I also like the towns of Delft and Gouda and the beaches at Egmond aan Zee and Callantsoog. If you get up towards Callantsoog, visit Schagen on a Thursday.

1. Alkmaar (city)
  2. Kinderdijk (attraction)
  3. Delft (city)
  4. Gouda (city)
  5. Egmond aan Zee (city)
  6. Callantsoog (city)
  7. Schagen (city)