Craig
Minnesota

Amsterdam

Only One Full Day in Amsterdam What must I DO!?

My wife and I are traveling to Amsterdam at the very end of December and have one full day in the city before hopping on our connecting flight to Tanzania! Neither of us have ever been to the city before and we want to make the most of our day. We particularly love: coffee shops, art, good food/wine (albeit not incredibly expensive good food/wine), BOOKSTORES, and any nice long picturesque walks. Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The first thing I would do is hop on a boat tour of the canals.  It's going to give you a tremendous perspective on the city.  The Rijksmuseum Amsterdam just reopened after a several year closure and multi-million dollar renovation.  Its a great museum, even if you aren't a huge museum visitor (like me)...but tons of excellent renaissance paintings from artists everyone has heard of (Rembrandt)....

1. Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (attraction)

Judy from Sydney

Try the Van Gogh Museum! I loved it!

1. Van Gogh Museum (attraction)