Linda
Abington

Amsterdam

On my own for a day or two in Amsterdam...

My husband and I are taking a Viking River Cruise in March, 2015 and will have a day at the beginning and end on our own in Amsterdam.  Looking for (1) must see items and (2) any special food places (restaurants and other) that are special to visit.  We're budget conscious but never like to miss the 'must do's' in our travels!

Paul from London

A canal cruise is obligatory in Amsterdam. In under two hours you will get a great view of the city and see many of the historical areas.

The Rijksmuseum Amsterdam is essential if you are into art in any way. The Anne Frank House is a poignant reminder of the past.

In March, the tulip fields will be in full bloom. If you're there after March 19th then definitely take a bus trip to Keukenhof.

1. Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (attraction)
  2. Anne Frank House (attraction)
  3. Keukenhof (neighborhood)

Eline from Oirschot

I would recommend the Anne Frank House, it is one of our most interesting museums. 

Take a look at www.iamsterdam.com (you can set the language to english if you'd like)

Go to De Dam and feed the birds, walk to the Singel 7 and see the tinnest house of the world

1. Anne Frank House (attraction)
  2. De Dam (attraction)
  3. Singel 7 (address)

Kevin Bono from Utrecht

Hi Linda, you should take a look at Surinaams Chinees Restaurant Kam Yin, its a cheap restaurant near Centraal Station, Amsterdam.

You can eat some good surinam, indonesion food for not more then €11

Have a great stay in Amsterdam!

Regards

1. Surinaams Chinees Restaurant Kam Yin (restaurant)
  2. Centraal Station, Amsterdam (attraction)

Paul from London

For food I recommend trying an Indonesian rijstafel. The Dutch colonial past has ensured that Indonesian food is ubiquitous in Holland and the rijstafel is the best way to try it. You get up to 30 small dishes of extremely tasty food at a reasonable price.

A good bet is Tempo Doeloe which has been serving up great rijstafels for many years.

1. Tempo Doeloe (restaurant)

Wanda from Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hi Linda, great that your going to Amsterdam! There are lots of things to see there! A must-do is I think the Anne Frank House, but there's always a very long queue. I advice you to buy tickets in advance through the internet (their website) and that way you can enter very quickly to the Museum! For dinner, you should go to Moeders. It's a typical Dutch restaurant that serves Dutch food and is not too expensive. Wondering around the canals is wonderful, because the old city center is beautiful. If you like to have a snack you can ask for 'Bitterballen'. This is a typical Dutch snack and everybody loves it! It's meat, so if you're a vegetarian, don't order it! ;)

Enjoy your time there, it's wonderful!

1. Anne Frank House (attraction)
  2. Moeders (restaurant)

Brady from Manhattan Beach

I wouldn't miss the Coffeeshop Abraxas Too. Also, lunch at Teasers Cafe on the Damrak can be nice. 

1. Coffeeshop Abraxas Too (restaurant)
  2. Teasers Cafe (restaurant)
  3. Damrak (attraction)

Jacqui from London

Amsterdam is such a wonderful and beautiful city! You can get to most places on foot, but you can also explore the city very easily on the trams or a canal boat. 

Not to miss: 

-  Eat a traditional Indonesian rijsttafel. Rijsttafel (“ryst-tah-fell”) is Dutch for “rice table” and is a fusion of Indonesian and dutch foods. Try Indrapura on Rembrandtplein

- One or more of the 50+ museums! Rijksmuseum AmsterdamVan Gogh Museum and Anne Frank House are a few of the top ones. 

- For an authentic beer tasting experience, catch the 22 bus from Central Station to the east of the city (about 10-15mins) where you will find a large windmill, now being used as a micro brewery. 

- Walk through the red light district... at night :) It is safe as long as you keep and eye on your belongings and are mindful of the alluring red windows! 

- See the tulips in bloom if you can. There are a few fields just outside of the city that are amazing. 

See more about Amsterdam in my useful guide here:  http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/tips-for-exploring-amsterdam/ 

Enjoy! J 

1. Amsterdam (city)
  2. Rembrandtplein (attraction)
  3. Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (attraction)
  4. Van Gogh Museum (attraction)
  5. Anne Frank House (attraction)

Charles from Nashville, Tennessee

My wife and I have been on a couple of river cruises that began in Amsterdam and one attraction we feel is a must see is the Natura Artis Magistra zoo.  If you enjoy animals at all its a great place to spend some time.  As a bonus, the cafeteria there has fantastic food and a great apple tarte.

1. Natura Artis Magistra (attraction)