Brenda
Long Beach

Brenda from Long Beach asked

How crazy and crowded is Amsterdam during the dance festival?

O.K., so I finally decided to make Amsterdam the last leg of my trip. I started dreaming about great museums, and wonderful markets, street food, and walking in the crisp Autumn weather throughout the city.  Then I found out about this giant electronic music festival that lasts five days and appears to take over the city.  I am up for a lot of things, maybe I'll even enjoy EDM for a night, but this is so not my demographic and I am not sure I can take raging teens and early twenties tripping on the lights outside of my hotel room.

How crazy does it get and can you still see sights if you are not part of the electric daisy carnival?

Amsterdam

Tim from Amsterdam

The city is busier during the ADE, but it's not totally crazy like on King's day for example. The individual events will be busy, but the ADE crowd tends to get out for the events at night and aren't really doing too much in the city during the day as you can imagine after a late night/early morning dancing. If you're really worried about the crowds, just avoid staying in an area where there are events being held (e.g. Leidseplein, Rembrantplein, etc.); otherwise, you shouldn't have any issues.

Sabine
Totally agree!

peppino from Amsterdam

No raging teens, or not many at least. The ADE is a music conference for passionate adults and professionals also and the program and venues are well spread across the city. 

Brenda
thank you so much for the information. Who knows maybe I will even get to one of the venues for one night. Just happy its not like some of our festival here in Southern California