Anish
Trivandrum

Anish from Trivandrum asked

Guys, do tell me which of these shud we go to and how shud we plan it.

We are a group of 4 couples. We wanna go to these places and we have a time frame of 20 days. Help me plan these places proximity vice and where to start from. We are travelling in the month of May 2017, First week onwards.

Amsterdam   Paris   Berlin   Barcelona   Lisbon

Rebecca from Manchester

Hi Anish!

There is a lot of stuff to do in Amsterdam but you can cover a lot in a few days. It is worth visiting the Heineken Experience and seeing how they may Heineken, which can be enjoyed by drinkers and non-drinkers alike. I would also recommend seeing Anne Frank House for the history. Taking a canal boat trip is nice. Check out my blog about Amsterdam: http://bit.ly/1yx47Iq 

There is a great deal to do in Paris and I would highly recommend Palais Garnier which can be overlooked. I write about great other things to do in my blog as well for Paris - http://bit.ly/1VWxXgQ

1. Amsterdam (city)
  2. Heineken Experience (attraction)
  3. Anne Frank House (attraction)
  5. Palais Garnier (attraction)
Lulu from Amsterdam

For Amsterdam, I think some great experience I really enjoyed are biking along Amstel Riverview and in Bos, boat tour on Amstel river and canals, walking around wind mills in Zaandam, and tasting in food festival. Not sure if there will be any food festival in May yet, but Foodhallenis a good alternative. If you like museum, I'd recommend Van Gogh Museum is a must see. 

Anish
AFTER LISTENING TO NUMEROUS REPLIES, WE HAVE LIMITED OUR TRIP TO 3 PLACES - BERLIN, AMSTERDAM AND PARIS!!! DO LET US KNOW HOW DO WE GO ABOUT IT. AS OF NOW, WE R PLANNING TO LAND IN BERLIN, 5 DAYS THERE, THEN TO AMSTERDAM AND AFTERWARDS PARIS. WE HAVE A TOTAL OF 15 DAYS FROM MAY 10-25. WE 4 COUPLES WANNA STAY IN GOOD PLACES, ACCESSIBLE TO THINGS TO DO AND SIGHTSEEING AND WE HATE GROUP TOURS WITHIN THE CITY. WE LIKE TO CHILL/ PARTY IN THE NIGHTS, TRAVEL IN OUR OWN SPACE FOR SIGHTSEEING AND DO THINGS. WE HAVE A DECENT BUDGET AND DO LIKE TOO MUCH OF TRAVELLING WITHIN THE PLACES. LIKE TO RELAX AND CHILL AND ENJOY. PLEASE DO HELP.... LULU

1. Amstel Riverview (restaurant)
  2. Zaandam (city)
  3. Foodhallen (restaurant)
  4. Van Gogh Museum (attraction)
Jeff from Portland

if you are coming from India, I would always start furthest and work my way back. In that case, start in Lisbon , then BarcelonaParisAmsterdamBerlin . With only 20 days, there is a decent amount of travel in there, since each city you move will take about 1/2 your day. That gives you roughly 3 days in each city also assuming 1 day when you journey from/to India.

1. Lisbon (city)
  2. Barcelona (city)
  4. Amsterdam (city)
  5. Berlin (city)
Tracy from Pennsylvania

I would either start with and follow in order- BerlinAmsterdamParisBarcelona, and Lisbon or do the reverse. At least this way you won't be jumping all over. It is still a lot of traveling. How long did you have planned for each city and how are you traveling between cities? If by train you will easily be losing days just for travel time. Travel between Berlin, Amsterdam and Paris can be done by train fairly easily. When we went to Amsterdam we wanted to take the train to Brugge but there was a train stoppage so we rented a car, which was very easy. My point is to check dates and train lines for connections before  to make sure you can do it. Just trying to get to the airport by train coming back we needed to off load and take a bus because of issue. It was not difficult but I am glad I knew in advance. I have only been to Amsterdam and Paris out of the cities you mentioned. We just did Amsterdam a few months ago. While in Amsterdam we did a day trip outside the city and went to Brugge Belgium for an overnight. We spent I believe 3 nights in Amsterdam. It is not a city that needs a lot of time. We did not go into museums other than Anne Frank house, but rather walked the city taking in the sites. if seeing all the museums are important count a day at least for that. I have been to Paris twice. The second time I was with people who had never been so I ended up seeing the same things. Both trips were 3 or 4 days and we saw the all the main sights. I know Barcelona can be done in a couple of days also. It really comes down to what you all want to see and if you want to stay in one city longer. We loved the feel of Amsterdam but overall there isn't as many sights as Paris and Barcelona. I can go into more specifics about what we liked in those cities if you would like, just let me know.

Anish
THANKS ALOT TRACY! AFTER LISTENING TO NUMEROUS REPLIES, WE HAVE LIMITED OUR TRIP TO 3 PLACES - BERLIN, AMSTERDAM AND PARIS!!! DO LET US KNOW HOW DO WE GO ABOUT IT. AS OF NOW, WE R PLANNING TO LAND IN BERLIN, 5 DAYS THERE, THEN TO AMSTERDAM AND AFTERWARDS PARIS. WE HAVE A TOTAL OF 15 DAYS FROM MAY 10-25. WE 4 COUPLES WANNA STAY IN GOOD PLACES, ACCESSIBLE TO THINGS TO DO AND SIGHTSEEING AND WE HATE GROUP TOURS WITHIN THE CITY. WE LIKE TO CHILL/ PARTY IN THE NIGHTS, TRAVEL IN OUR OWN SPACE FOR SIGHTSEEING AND DO THINGS. WE HAVE A DECENT BUDGET AND DO LIKE TOO MUCH OF TRAVELLING WITHIN THE PLACES. LIKE TO RELAX AND CHILL AND ENJOY. PLEASE DO HELP....

Tracy
You are welcome. I am not familiar with Berlin. You can take the intercity train, booking through Raileurope,Eurail, DB Bahn or Trainline from Berlin to Amsterdam and also to Paris. When you book tickets earlier you get a discount. The travel time is anywhere from 6hrs 8 mins to over 7hrs, depending on train and time. Amsterdam to Paris is 3hrs 18mins. Prices are all over, if you pre book a specific seat and choose the comfort level you could pay more. It is very easy to google the sites and pick what you like best. The train from Schipol airport to Amsterdam Central was very easy. We stayed in Dam Square and walked from station, which was about 15mins away. It was pretty much an easy straight walk on a large street. You could always take the tram. They are quick and inexpensive and close to almost all sites. We like to walk. I am sure there are also cabs. We stayed the NH Collection Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky in Dam Sq. it was wonderful. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We stayed in what they call the apartment side (not an apt, just hotel room) This is on the other side of alley way. Our room looked out on the street. Be for warned that it is loud at night even on upper floors. I read reviews before and brought earplugs. We liked the vibe and unless you go to bed early it may not be a problem. The hotel is close to so much. There is a boat tour just outside that was cheaper than most and a nice experience. We did it the first night after dark. You can buy drinks and sit back and relax while taking in the nightscapes. I used tripadvisor to find restaurants ideas and then chose if we were near them. Troost Brewery was a fun time, we went for beer but you can eat there also. It is in a park with other bar restaurants. We walked but it was a very, very far. We haven't been to Paris since 2011 and I can't tell you restaurants. The first time I went we stayed in a hotel down the street to left of the Louvre, it was a great location. The second time we stayed outside of downtown, I wouldn't recommend it. The Paris metro is easy to use to get around. We don't like group tours, generally only take them when travel is needed. Have fun!

1. Berlin (city)
  2. Amsterdam (city)
  4. Barcelona (city)
  5. Lisbon (city)
Nars from Boston

All these cities are great. Paris, Amsterdam, and Barcelona are must-see places. Lisbon and Berlin are great but if you haven't covered London, I would consider it. 3-4 days per city, so you are not rushed. You could consider this sequence, fly into London and fly out of Lisbon or vice versa.

London : 3-4 days (or Berlin)

Amsterdam : 2-3 days

Paris : 3-4 days

Barcelona  : 2-3 days

Lisbon : 2-3 days

Anish
WE HAVE LIMITED OUR TRIP TO 3 PLACES - BERLIN, AMSTERDAM AND PARIS!!! DO LET US KNOW HOW DO WE GO ABOUT IT. AS OF NOW, WE R PLANNING TO LAND IN BERLIN, 5 DAYS THERE, THEN TO AMSTERDAM AND AFTERWARDS PARIS. WE HAVE A TOTAL OF 15 DAYS FROM MAY 10-25. WE 4 COUPLES WANNA STAY IN GOOD PLACES, ACCESSIBLE TO THINGS TO DO AND SIGHTSEEING AND WE HATE GROUP TOURS WITHIN THE CITY. WE LIKE TO CHILL/ PARTY IN THE NIGHTS, TRAVEL IN OUR OWN SPACE FOR SIGHTSEEING AND DO THINGS. WE HAVE A DECENT BUDGET AND DO LIKE TOO MUCH OF TRAVELLING WITHIN THE PLACES. LIKE TO RELAX AND CHILL AND ENJOY. PLEASE DO HELP.... NARS

Nars
I would pick recommend 1 or 2 places per day per city and leave the rest for strolling around the city breathing in the sights, culture, people and way of life, enjoying cafe's and nightlife. Planning for 8 without a tour guide may get out of hand. You may want to consider taking a hop-on/hop-off bus for one day in each city to quickly cover important items. Here are some must-visit places: Berlin: Reichstag building Brandenburg Gate Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe Tiergarten Berlin Wall https://www.ruebarue.com/berlin/ Amsterdam: Anne Frank House Van Gogh Museum De Negen Straatjes (Bridges) Herengracht De Wallen (Red Light District) - With your spouse of course https://www.ruebarue.com/amsterdam/ Paris - Spend most days here: Eiffel Tower (book tickets in advance) Louvre Notre-Dame Cathedral Arc de Triomphe Palace of Versailles https://www.ruebarue.com/paris/ Have fun!

Anish
Thank You!

2. Amsterdam (city)
  4. Barcelona (city)
  5. Lisbon (city)
Lifetime

Coming from India, the most international airport might be Paris or Amsterdam. You should start there. (or maybe Frankfurt or Munich airports and go to Berlin).

Since I'm from Barcelona, I'd recommend you that. City is small enough to see everything (touristic) within 4 or 5 days.

Must see/go in Barcelona: La RamblaBasílica de la Sagrada FamíliaCasa BatllóLa PedreraEl Barri GòticCathedral of BarcelonaBasilica of Santa Maria del MarLa BarcelonetaMontjuïcPlaza EspañaParc Güell

Mind that Barcelona airport has less international connections to Asia than Madrid airport. But you will have plenty of flights from other Europe cities to barcelona.

May is a great month to travel Barcelona. Good weather, and not high season, so prices are still ok (it gets more crowded/expensive at the end of june until end of august).

4 couples shouldn't be a problem at the time of the year. I'd recommend booking.com or airbnb to find a good accomodation for you.

Since the city is not that big, no need to stay in downtown (prices are higher in center than in other neighborhoods). Subway and bus covers the whole city and you have English info all around.

1. La Rambla (attraction)
  2. Basílica de la Sagrada Família (attraction)
  3. Casa Batlló (attraction)
  4. La Pedrera (attraction)
  5. El Barri Gòtic (attraction)
  6. Cathedral of Barcelona (attraction)
  7. Basilica of Santa Maria del Mar (attraction)
  8. La Barceloneta (attraction)
  9. Montjuïc (attraction)
  10. Plaza España (attraction)
  11. Parc Güell (attraction)