Emily y

Chicago, Illinois

Foodie in Amsterdam?

I will be traveling with 3 friends to Amsterdam in July.  We are staying for 3 nights and then off to Paris.  Looking for really good food and wine.  I love cheese as well :)  I don't like touristy places.  Any recommendations would be awesome.  Thanks!

• Sabine van der Horst

Hi Emily,

The same questiosn was asked a week a go or something, so I will copy paste :-):

The one I absolutely love is Rijsel! Basic, pure cuisine, but of really high quality. They are famous for their rotisserie chicken. You so need to reserve around a month in advance though (yes, it is that good :-)).

I also really like The Lobby Restaurant & Bar. This centrally located restaurant has a great atmosphere all types of people go here and the food is amazing.

Restaurant ANNA is a really good (star quality) restaurant in the middle of the red light district.

If you like steak, go to one of the Café Loetje restaurants. There are several in town. They have the best steak ever! Really ever! So tender and the gravy is heavenly. It is always really busy here every day of the week, you can't reserve at most Loetje Restaurants.

de Biertuinis the place where you meetup with friends and hang out on the terrace and eat great hamburgers or chicken. Really the place to be for a good meal and loads of different kind of beers!

At Smokin' Barrels you can find really good lobster and burgers :-)!

Try to avoid any of the restaurants at Damrak, Rokin or Damstraat or that area. Tourist trap! Bad quality! Only a few places are worth visiting like The Lobby Restaurant & Bar and Restaurant ANNAwhich I mentioned.

Definitely check out if there are any markets the time you are here. Pure Markt and Sunday Market are great! Good food, wine, delicacies and cheeses :-). Check out www.puremarkt.nl and sundaymarket.nl. Neighbourfoodmarket is also great (19th of July) at the Westerpark.

1. Smokin' Barrels (restaurant)
    2. Westerpark (neighborhood)

• ·
    • ·

Send Sabine a Thank You Note