Luis
Los Angeles, California

Amsterdam, Berlin, Paris

First solo trip-need help figuring out best accommodation style.

Hi! 

I am going to be embarking on my first ever solo trip to Europe this May, and am still trying to figure out if I should stay in hotels by myself, hostels, or some sort of air b&b home share. I can spend the money on hotels on my own, but don't want to shut myself off from meeting people along the way, but not sure if I should ease into it before I try a hostel or Homeshare. Any advice or personal testimony would be great!

Aerin from Santa Barbara

I recommend looking into Air B&B or stay in a hostel. They open you to more of the local culture and you have the opportunity to meet new people!

Jacqui from London

Hostels is your best bet for meeting like-minded travellers, a room in an Airbnb or Couchsuring is the best way to meet the locals. But a hotel will give you comforts and a bit of space to relax - which is also important as you will probably be really busy during the day exploring. Mix it up a little. 

Sometimes we usually use Airbnb, stay in a hostel, or sometimes camp for a week at a time, but we always splurge on a nice hotel for a night or two at the end. It's a great way to travel! 

Also try to stay like the locals do. For example, we stayed in a canal boat in Amsterdam and in a beach hut in Spain. These little experiences can make your trip that much more authentic. 

:) 

Have an amazing time! 

Daphne from Zutphen, Netherlands

Hi Luis! I once stayed in Stayokay Amsterdam Zeeburg in the centre of Amsterdam, next to Vondelpark. Lots of travellers come there and you share rooms so low prices per night. Have fun in Amsterdam!

1. Stayokay Amsterdam Zeeburg (hotel)
  2. Vondelpark (attraction)

Wanda from Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hi Luis,

I traveled a lot solo and always stayed a lot in hostels, in dorms. This is a great way to meet fellow travelers and explore the city together and meet interesting people from all over the world (who you can visit later! :)). You can Always book a hotel room for yourself if you want some day(s) if you're done socializing. Also, there's the possibility to book a room with air b&b, this way you have the privacy of your own room, but also have someone local who can give you advice about the city and with whom you can hang out with maybe. Enjoy your time in Amsterdam!!

Sally from Raleigh

I think staying in a hostel is the way to go.  I have backpacked Europe twice and we only stayed in a hotel a few times.  You meet people from all over the World and then you have people to do activities with.  Make sure you take a lock chain for your backpack or suitcase.  There is always a chance of theft.  Have fun!

Sanne

I should go to an hostel first. Most of the travellers are staying there. When you're traveling alone, that will be the best place to meet people. 

Reyhan from Istanbul, Turkey

Hey Luis, if you are traveling alone I would stay at a hostel. There are plenty fancy hostels in the center of Amsterdam where u can meet different kinds of people.