Emily
Ann Arbor

Amsterdam

Best ways to get around in Amsterdam?

What do I need to know in terms of transportation in Amsterdam? I've heard the city is huge on riding bikes?

Sofia from Mexico City

Hey Emily, 

Amsterdam might be big if you want to get around all the places but if you stay in the center, it is really easy and practicable by bike. You will feel the magic of the city, going along the Canal Ring and the old parts of the city, such as 'De Pijp', which has an awesome market, Waterlooplein, Leidseplein, Nieuwmarkt, Vondelpark, Flevopark which is in the north, further than all the other places but nice.

You can also use the tramway, very easy and fast. And make a boat tour.

But I would recommend to ride a bike, it is the specialty  of the city.

Hope it helped ! 

Sofia

1. Amsterdam (city)
  2. Canal Ring (metro area)
  3. De Pijp (attraction)
  4. Waterlooplein (attraction)
  5. Leidseplein (attraction)
  6. Nieuwmarkt (attraction)
  7. Vondelpark (attraction)
  8. Flevopark (attraction)

Steve

Best ways around compact Amsterdamare the numerous trams that fan out from Centraal Station, AmsterdamStation. Tour boats for sailing through the watery canals, walking to make sure you don't miss anything. Just watch out for the bicycles.  They are everywhere, and have dedicated lanes for them. When I’m in Amsterdam, I always rent a bicycle for the duration of my stay. Biking is the way to go here. And in Amsterdam, there’s a solid piece of metal to lock it up just about wherever you need one.

1. Amsterdam (city)
  2. Centraal Station, Amsterdam (attraction)

Damian from Rosario

Hi Emily!
Amsterdam is a very nice city to tour by bicycle.
I've done it and recommend it, the native people do often at high speed! ... jajajaja

I've rented here ( Stationsplein 12 ) : Mac Bike 

Stations: http://macbike.nl/en/location/central-station-east/

Good walk!

Damian.

1. Stationsplein 12 (address)

Brett from Eindhoven

Indeed, I generally stick to walking, or the tram system.  If you're going to be traveling around the Netherlands for a little while, it's worth picking up an OV-Chipcard which you can charge up with enough to take the busses, trams, and trains around the entire country.

I personally would not go the bike route if you're in the central areas, between the crowds, the cobblestones, and construction, it may be safer and easier to walk most places.

Patrick

Bicycle and public transportation in the canal ring.  Only rent a car if you are driving outside the city.  Also many of the sites, restaurants and museums are close by and walking is very doable.  Enjoy.

I love walking the city mostly because I catch so many details that way and I love taking pictures. It's very walkable.

Bicycle is definitely fun though and the way locals do it. Just be observant about local rules. The Dutch are pros and bike at high speed even on the tiny streets.

Lucile from Luxembourg

The city center you can walk through, no need to rent a bike. But for the visit I think if you want to have one visit with a guide it is the one on the canal. That is fundamental to the city. You cannot miss it ;)