Sally

Amsterdam

Best way to spend 3 days in Amsterdam?

I'll be in Amsterdam for 3 days in early September and have never been before. What are must-sees and must-eats in the city? I really enjoy food and food markets, art and architecture, outdoor activities and local culture.

I will be alone for some of the time although I have a friend that lives there that will be meeting with me during the evening.

Sabine from Amsterdam

If you are in Amsterdam on the 6th of September, go to Sunday Market at the Westergasfabriek. This is a great (food)market! Also try to go the De Hallen, kind of an indoor foodcourt, but then more fancy and hip with lot's of delicious food choices. 

Go to de Biertuin and eat some great chicken and Amsterdam brewed beers on a lovely terrace with the locals. After that go for a drink to Henry's Bar or Bar Bukowski.  

Just rent a bike and cycle around. Try to avoid any guided tours who will just take you to the touristy areas and places. Don't be afraid to get lost, you always encounter the best places if you don't know where you are or where you re going :-). 

Because you like art and architecture, definitely go to the Rijksmuseum. Here you will find all Dutch art under one beautiful newly renovated roof :-).

1. Westergasfabriek (attraction)
  2. De Hallen (attraction)
  3. de Biertuin (attraction)
  4. Henry's Bar (restaurant)
  5. Bar Bukowski (restaurant)

Caitlin from Boston

Hi Sally! I recently did a trip to Amsterdam with a friend. We stayed Sir Albert Hotel which if you like walking is a great location. The hotel restaurant, Izakaya is fantastic Asian fusion and Venkel down the street is perfect for breakfast and salads! Walking around the canals in the Jordaan and 9 Streets area is a wonderful way to pass time and take in Amsterdam. Other activities, restaurants and bars I loved are listed below.

Activities:

• Brouwerij 't IJ - a brewery in a windmill, right in the center of Amsterdam! Brewery tour with nice local beers. A perfect chill activity for the first afternoon in Amsterdam!
  • Van Gogh Museum my favorite museum in Amsterdam. An approachable size and layout, with so many pretty Van Gogh’s and works by artists who inspired him or were inspired by him. Buying tickets in advance allows you to wait in the short line, which saves a lot of time.
  • RijkRijksmuseum a massive art museum, with a wonderful Rembrandt exhibit right now, some pretty Monets, Dutch impressionism, etc
  • Bike or walk through Rembrandtpark then get drinks at Bar/Restaurant Floor 17 

Restaurants:

• Restaurant As, located in a park about a 15 min walk south of the Sir Albert Hotel,  for awesome dining experience. It was a really cool space, and the menu changes daily based on locally available ingredients! 
  • La Oliva in the Jordaan is a great local type of restaurant, and a nice stop when exploring the Jordaan. 

I posted a bit more on my blog, Bostonian Brit

I hope you enjoy Amsterdam! 

1. Sir Albert Hotel (hotel)
  2. Izakaya (restaurant)
  3. Venkel (restaurant)
  4. Jordaan (neighborhood)
  5. Brouwerij 't IJ (attraction)
  6. Van Gogh Museum (attraction)
  7. Rijk (city)
  8. Rembrandtpark (attraction)
  9. Bar/Restaurant Floor 17 (restaurant)
  10. Restaurant As (restaurant)
  11. La Oliva (restaurant)

norman from New Orleans

Dam Square is must see and art museums  

1. Dam Square (attraction)

Stuart from Redondo Beach

Van Gogh Museum and Rijk are musts. Canal boat ride with guide for architecture.

1. Van Gogh Museum (attraction)
  2. Rijk (city)