Elvy
Kuala Lumpur

Amsterdam, London, Paris, Switzerland, Monaco, Italy

Best itinerary to visit Europe for 23 days in October?

What could be the best itinerary to visit Europe for about 23 days in October? 

I am planning a trip to Europe from Kuala Lumpur and have this in mind -> Kuala Lumpur - Amsterdam- London -Paris - Zurich - Monaco - Milan (optional) - Venice - Florence - Rome - Kuala Lumpur. 

Is this a good itinerary? Is there anything I should skip or add? All suggestions and recommendations welcome.

Erik from London

Hi Elvy,

Here are a few suggestions having been to all your destinations with the exception of Monaco.

Amsterdam is a must.  It's easy to see on foot if you stay somewhere central.  Make sure to allow yourself enough time depending on what you want to see.  Also, if you are planning on sites like Anne Frank House, buy your tickets online prior to arrival and save yourself the 1.5 hour queue.

I would suggest flying to London as flights are frequent and not expensive.  We have found the cheapest one way to be with British Airways but also had success with Easyjet in the past. 

There is loads to do in London so again, leave yourself enough time.  I would suggest taking the Eurostar to Paris.  Depending on how much time you have you may want to look at a Eurail pass from RailEurope given the remaining places you are visiting.

Personally, I would skip Zurich and Milan as there isn't much happening there unless you are specifically interested in something. If you're after mountains then I would suggest Zermatt or even the Italian alps.  I would also suggest you consider Berlin.  It's an amazing city with tons of history and lots going on all year.

Venice and Florence are a must.  When in Venice hang around the water taxi desk and look for other tourists trying to get a water taxi.  You can split the fare as it's usually quite expensive but this makes it more affordable.  Check if your hotel has it's own dock then you can take a boat straight to it (although the driver may charge you a bit extra).  If you have time and are really into Italian food, I would suggest Bologna for a day.  It's easily the food capital although there is great food all around.  Also, be careful when in Rome.  Do some research as it's easy to end up eating in tourist cafes with substandard "Italian" food.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

1. Amsterdam (city)
  2. Anne Frank House (attraction)
  4. Zurich (city)
  5. Milan (city)
  6. Zermatt (attraction)
  7. Berlin (city)

John from Carlsbad (California)

Hi Elvy,

Welcome to Trippy.  Your itinerary is very good, with the possible exception of trying to see both Zurich and Monaco.  You will spend a lot of extra time on the train if you are planning to travel by train.  I would suggest something like this:

Amsterdam 3 nights;  London 4 nights;  Paris 4 nights;  Monaco3 nights;  either Milan 1 night and Venice 2 nights, or skip Milan and go to directly to Venice for 3 nights; Florence 2 nights; Rome 4 nights.  As an alternative to Monaco, you might consider staying in Nice and including Monaco in a day trip from there.

Alternatively, you could skip the South of France and go from Paris to Zurich and then from there to Milan or Venice.

It sounds like a great trip either way.

1. Amsterdam (city)
  4. Monaco (country)
  5. Milan (city)
  9. Zurich (city)