Katie from Los Angeles asked

Best free things to do in Amsterdam?

I'm going to be in Amsterdam next month and will be on a pretty tight budget. I'm looking for the best free and inexpensive things to check out! I love the outdoors, art, museums, you name it. Thanks!

Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Kim from Elizabeth (New Jersey)

Highly recommend the Van Gogh Museum. We're not big museum people but the way they structure the venue is so compelling. It's also right across the way from the Amsterdam sign. Make sure you get there early to get a nice picture inside one of your "letters". 

1. Van Gogh Museum (attraction)
Lulu from Amsterdam

You can try free walking tour, I did it once and learned the history and some interesting small things around the central area. It helped me to appreciate more of the city I'm living in and made few friends from other countries. It's actually tip-based service so it's complete up to you for how much you are willing to pay at the end of tour. Other than that, I think one of the most amazing experience for me is rowing on the canal. There is this rowing club on Amstel river that does a free one-hour lesson once a month during peak seasons. The details can be found on their FB page if you are interested. Other than that, ferry from Amsterdam Centraal to Amsterdam-Noord is always free, although it's quite short and I wouldn't say it's the best water experience you can get in Amsterdam. Enjoy your time here! 

1. Amstel (attraction)
  2. Amsterdam Centraal (attraction)
  3. Amsterdam-Noord (neighborhood)
Chantall
Walk through Vondelpark and walk through the city all the homes on the canals have some history.

1. Vondelpark (attraction)