Robert
Naivasha

Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Paris, Brussels

Best city to use as a base to travel around Europe

We've got 16 days in Europe and plan to use 5 of them for quick day trips to Amsterdam, Berlin and Prague with a choice of using Paris or Brussels as our base. What would be most convenient to travel out of?

Marinus from Amsterdam

Instead of day trips, I would move from the one to the next. For example: Brussels is halfway between Paris and Amsterdam. Would not make sense to go back to sleep and go the whole way again. Also, thise seem like quite a lot for 5 days. I'd choose Brussels, Paris and Amsterdam and see them properly. The others are quite far out.

1. Brussels (city)
  3. Amsterdam (city)

Katie from Erie

Paris is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, especially in the spring and summer. It's downfall is that it is incredibly expensive unless you are staying in hostels or couch surfing. Nightlife in Paris is phenomenal though. I have only been to Brussels once, however I found it very nice and I'd love to explore it more! Both cities have easy access to the Eurostar trains and perhaps RyanAir or EasyJet flights, though it may be cheaper to travel starting from Brussels due to it's closer proximity to Amsterdam/Berlin/Prague. Consider also visiting Bruges, it's a magical place.

2. Brussels (city)
  3. Amsterdam (city)
  4. Berlin (city)
  5. Prague (city)
  6. Bruges (city)

Lisa from Tampa

I agree that it makes more sense to go straight through rather than basing somewhere. Basing out of a destination can make cost go up quickly. Utilize the trains and absolutely go  to Bruges over Belgium it's so awesome. We took the train from Belgium to Amsterdam and it was great. Flew from Amsterdam to Berlin because of the time it took on the train. I'm sure there's also a train to Prague from Berlin easily. You may want to look into a rail pass as well. Also agree to leave Paris out this time and save it for when you are closer to that area! 

1. Bruges (city)
  2. Belgium (country)
  3. Amsterdam (city)
  4. Berlin (city)
  5. Prague (city)

Susan from Boston

I totally agree with checking out Bruges, it is quite beautiful. I likes Antwerp more than Brussels, that is just me. Prague is absolutely lovely. I may be biased, because I have family there. You can still do Prague relatively inexpensively, even for good lodging, if you look carefully. Prague is totally walkable, but you can also buy 3 day passes which will allow you access to all the trams and trains. The Wilsonova station, where your train will likely end up will sell the passes. It is also right at Wenceslas Square, a good starting point for your Prague adventure.

1. Bruges (city)
  2. Antwerp (city)
  3. Brussels (city)
  4. Prague (city)
  5. Wenceslas Square (attraction)

Givonn from Saint Augustine

Train - NO QUESTION!  Here's why:

1.  Straight shot from Amsterdam to Berlin; Berlin to Prague.

2.  If you're partying hard in Amsterdam (like I did), the 6 hour train trip to Berlin is you sleep haven.  That was the only time I remember sleeping.

3. Budget

4.  If you're backpacking - Budget.  No need for a hotel/hostal.

5.  The people - I've met the most interesting and entertaining folk on ICE

**Highly Recommended - I see you have a choice of Paris or Brussels.  I would totally do Brussels.  It's more inline with the other stops.  Paris deserves a separate, longer trip to really appreciate it, like 10 days itself.  

Personally, I would ask for Frankfurt instead of Brussels.

1. Amsterdam (city)
  2. Berlin (city)
  3. Prague (city)
  4. Brussels (city)
  6. Frankfurt (city)

Kristel

I would use Brussels for this one if you're choosing those daytrips.

1. Brussels (city)