Checho
San José, Costa Rica

Amsterdam

Are 4 days enough to visit Amsterdam?

Hi, I wanted to go to Amsterdam this by the end of march. I'm thinking on four full days for my trip, but I wanted to know if it's enough or too many days?

Rok from Slovenj Gradec

it depends what you want to do. If you only want to hit the touristic places (Anne Frank HouseRijksmuseum AmsterdamVan Gogh Museum,...) you can do that in 4 days. the best would be to just buy a 2 or 3 day amsterdam card (http://www.iamsterdam.com/citycard) which gives you free public transport + free entrance fees for most museums/attractions 
but if you'd like to discover a bit more, then you'd need much more than that. i mean there are so many cool spots around that you can explore, hidden canal alleys to get lost in, especially if you want to embark in the "famous" legal substances the time can pass quite fast xD

1. Anne Frank House (attraction)
  2. Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (attraction)
  3. Van Gogh Museum (attraction)

Jacqui from London

4 days should be enough - though I am returning for a 4th time in as many years this summer as I can't get enough! 

Amsterdam is such a wonderful and beautiful city! You can get to most places on foot, but you can also explore the city very easily on the trams or a canal boat. 

Not to miss:

- Eat a traditional Indonesian rijsttafel. Rijsttafel (“ryst-tah-fell”) is Dutch for “rice table” and is a fusion of Indonesian and dutch foods. Try Indrapura on Rembrandtplein.

- One or more of the 50+ museums! Rijksmuseum AmsterdamVan Gogh Museum and Anne Frank House are a few of the top ones.

- For an authentic beer tasting experience, catch the 22 bus from Central Station to the east of the city (about 10-15mins) where you will find a large windmill, now being used as a micro brewery.

- Walk through the red light district... at night :) It is safe as long as you keep and eye on your belongings and are mindful of the alluring red windows!

- See the tulips in bloom if you can. There are a few fields just outside of the city that are amazing.

See more about Amsterdam in my useful guide here:http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/tips-for-exploring-amsterdam/

Enjoy! J

Piet from Sneek

4 days should be enough for only Amsterdam, it's a relatively small city and it's more about experiencing than seeing. However, if you want to see more cities in the Netherlands like Utrecht, Maastricht and Den Haag (The Hague, recommended) you need more days. 

1. Utrecht (city)
  2. Maastricht (attraction)
  3. Den Haag (attraction)

Sanne

Four full days to see Amsterdam is enough. The center of the city isn't that big and with the public transport you're everywhere in minutes. 

Micha from Alphen aan den Rijn

It is definitely possible to visit Amsterdam in 4 days.. It depends on what you want to do. For sight seeing 4 days is definitely enough.. Try visiting Rijksmuseum Amsterdam and the Anne Frank House. If possible I would suggest you to do some sight seeing by bike! :-) 

1. Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (attraction)
  2. Anne Frank House (attraction)

Jan from The Hague, Netherlands

Yep, Amsterdam is not large.

Visti the SingelRijksmuseum Amsterdam and the Museumplein and Van Gogh Museum one day and make a boat trip on the Canals another day.

Eat at the Zeedijk Chinese with Nam Kee after you have seen Red Light District de Wallen, redlight district.

Go drink beer at Warmoesstraat the Prael brewery or at the Molen, Brouwerij 't IJ brewery Het IJ

1. Singel (attraction)
  2. Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (attraction)
  3. Van Gogh Museum (attraction)
  4. Red Light District (attraction)
  5. Warmoesstraat (attraction)
  6. Brouwerij 't IJ (attraction)
  7. Museumplein (attraction)
  8. Zeedijk (attraction)

Cristina from Brussels

Depends what you want to do there. If you want to mix culture with good eating and good drinking and still relax a bit it's not enough. If you want to run around and do the things every tourist checks on their list, it's enough.

It can be a hectic city but I recommend you take your time to have a drink on a terrace or go outside the tourist areas and just observe locals.

peppino from Amsterdam

Sure, make sure you rent a bike!

Reyhan from Istanbul, Turkey

Definitely! But I wouldn't sleep that much if I were you lol. Get up early, have a nice breakfast nearby the Dam Square, have a boat trip in the afternoon and walk through the Red Light District in the evening. If you spend your time right, 4 days is enough :)

1. Dam Square (attraction)
  2. Red Light District (attraction)

Lauren from Toronto

If you want to only see Amsterdam then yes 4 days is enough. The city is pretty small and you can see most of the main attractions in 4 days. If you want to see more of Netherlands, and Holland as a whole, then add a few extra days for that :) 

If you visit my blog, www.marinightravel.com, there's some tips etc. from my trip to Holland/Amsterdam a few years ago. Just click the "Europe" tab and you should be able to find them :) 

1. Netherlands (attraction)