Jennifer
Pittsburgh

Amsterdam

Any don't miss activities/sites in Amsterdam?

Will be spending 3 days in Amsterdam at the end of August. Most of our time is booked up already, but I wanted to ask everyone if there is any DON'T MISS activities, sites, restaurants, etc.  Just tell me anything that you love and have to share. :-) Thanks!

Jeremy

I recommend both Rijksmuseum Amsterdam and the Van Gogh Museum. I really enjoyed both, actually the Van Gogh multiple times. 

I put off the Heineken Experience because it seemed kind of touristy but was actually really fun.

Lastly, spend sometime and get lost either on foot or bike. My favorite thing to do in Amsterdam is just wander. The city is truly beautiful and there are all these awesome neighborhoods you can just stumble upon. 

1. Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (attraction)
  2. Van Gogh Museum (attraction)
  3. Heineken Experience (attraction)

Milan from Amsterdam, Netherlands

Wake up getting a good cup of joe at Sweet Cup. Next to this best local coffee house (they do their own roasting) there's a bike rental, rent a bike and bike over the canals and through the beautiful Jordaan to visit the Westergasfabriek.

Throw a disc, kick a ball and enjoy the park, it's an beautiful old factory building within a park turned into a creative hub, a lot of fun stuff to do, good food to eat and galleries to visit.

If you like puzzles attend the exciting 'Escape Room' Sherlocked.nl in the Beurs van Berlage, book a time that fits, and bring 4 of your friends.

If you've done that you have two options, either go take the free ferry to north at Pontsteiger to eat something organic at Noorderlicht on the NDSM wharf. Or stay in the centre to sit on top of the Hannekes Boom…sinds 1662 watch the sunset and have some local food. 

For my full list of sweets spots check out my foursquare list and please share if you like it. :)

1. Sweet Cup (restaurant)
  2. Jordaan (neighborhood)
  3. Westergasfabriek (attraction)
  4. Beurs van Berlage (attraction)
  5. Pontsteiger (attraction)
  6. Noorderlicht (attraction)
  7. Hannekes Boom…sinds 1662 (attraction)

Venci from Bayside, New York

go to Soup en Zo http://soupenzo.nl/menu/sp/ some of the most delicious homemade fresh food in Amsterdam. The  Rijksmuseum Amsterdam is also a nice way to spend a few hours in the city. There are many less famous museums which are very interesting such as the Vrolik Museum which you might want to explore as well, and ofcourse Vondelpark to catch some nature. As for coffeeshops i was recommended a shop that many local visits and is off the beaten path.  with great selection and a great customer base Bagheera is a place I would certainly visit again. If you would like to visit a place where you'll find more specialty American craft beers then you will in America, BeerTemple is the place to go. Walk around a lot, u'll see so much, you will definitley get lost, but stay re-assured because there is always something interesting near you.

1. Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (attraction)
  2. Vrolik Museum (attraction)
  3. Vondelpark (attraction)
  4. Bagheera (restaurant)
  5. BeerTemple (attraction)
  6. Soup en Zo (restaurant)

Jen from Sydney

Hi Jennifer!

I agree with Jeremy and would add Anne Frank House. It's a very moving museum focused on Anne Frank and her family during their time in hiding. It is very popular so with limited time I would recommend booking a timed entry ticket online at http://www.annefrank.org/ before you arrive. You will skip the queue completely.

Have a great time!

Cheers

Jen

1. Anne Frank House (attraction)

Charlotte from Amsterdam

Indeed, all musea are of course a must see, but you can also get off the beaten track and hire your own boat for a picknick on the canals via www.boaty.nl. You can also visit De Parade, an open air festival which last till 24 August, check www.deparade.nl.

Cristina from Brussels

Have a sweet or savory pancake (or both) at Pannenkoekenhuis "Upstairs" (Upstairs).

1. Pannenkoekenhuis "Upstairs" (restaurant)