Mike

Amsterdam

Any advice on best places to stay for a week in Amsterdam?

I am headed to Amsterdam for the first time next week end and travelling on a budget. Would love to stay somewhere central to walk or bike through the city and find an affordable place to stay.

Any of you have any recommendations / suggestions about things to do, exhibitions, places to eat, areas of the city I should explore, please feel free to let me know,

Thanks a lot!

Mike

Sabine from Amsterdam

Hi Mike, 

I can't really help you with affordable places to stay, just to try airbnb. Check if you can stay within the Canal area. preferably Jordaanor Negen Straatjes. Try to avoid Red Light District area to stay at. 

I will copy paste a piece about the different neigboorhouds of Amsterdam: 

The neighborhood behind Museumplein is Amsterdam Oud-Zuid. On Museumplein itself you will ONLY find tourists, but in Amsterdam Oud-Zuid is where most rich people if the city live. Go to streets like WillemsparkwegValeriusstraatKoninginneweg etc. Still not my favorite neighborhood though. 

The East and West part of town are really upcoming. 

In the East part go to Beukenplein, there are great bars and restaurants where you will only find locals. Try Bar BukowskiHenry's Bar(best cocktails in town), Smokin' Barrels (lobster and burgers) and de Biertuin (best burgers and chicken in a beergarden kind of setting). But also walk a bit further east to Javastraat. This immigrant neighborhood is getting better and better everyday. New (coffee)bars and boutiques open every week! 

If you want to go out in this part of town go to Canvas op de 7e. It is in the Volkshotel on the 7th floor and you got some really nice views. It is also a restaurant, then turns to a (cocktail)bar and in weekends even later it becomes a club. 

In westpart of town you should definitely go to Foodhallen! Kind of a modern foodcourt with great food and (mostly) hip people. It is packed every night. There is an hotel there: Hotel De Hallenwhich I heard was also nice. This part of town has also some nice new bars and restaurants like Fier AmsterdamVan T SpitSpaghetteria Amsterdam Westand Bar Brouw(there is also one in the east part at Beukenplein). 

Aso Jordaan and De Pijp are nice neighborhoods, but are getting more and more touristy. 

Things to do:

If you are here on a Sunday, go to Pure Markt in Amstelpark. Nice to hang out with locals on a market and buy some nice food and have a drink. 

In de nieuwe kerkthere is the World Press Photo Exhibition this month, which I always really love and go to every year. 

1. Jordaan (attraction)
  2. Negen Straatjes (attraction)
  3. Red Light District (attraction)
  4. Amstelpark (attraction)
  5. de nieuwe kerk (attraction)

Wanda from Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hi Mike,

Amsterdam is not the cheapest city, but the Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark is a hostel in the city center. Otherwise, indeed try Airnbnb or Couchsurfing. This way you can stay at someone's place for free and meet locals who know a lot about the city and maybe show you around. The RED LIGHT DISTRICT isn't actually not a bad place to stay at all. It's right in the center, cheap options for hostels also and always police in the streets. It's never quiet though, so if you want silence, then don't go there.

The World Press Photo Exhibition as Sabine mentioned is very nice, I agree!

1. Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark (hotel)
  2. RED LIGHT DISTRICT (attraction)