Tricia
Vassar

Amsterdam

Affordable Lodging close to Dam Square with culture?

My Husband and I are planning a 5 day/5night trip to Amsterdam for our honeymoon and are looking for unique hotels or bed & breakfasts to stay in! We would prefer something comfortable with American amenities if possible, but nothing generic! Something close to Dam Square (but not directly on the square) would be helpful since we would probably be walking everywhere we went! Something off the beaten path that has lots of culture, art influence,  and is easy on the pocket book would be PERFECT! Nearby "local favorites" restaurants(and not tourist traps) would be a major plus as well! If anything exists in Amsterdam please let me know! Thanks!

Melissa from Amsterdam

The lovely Amphora Bed and Breakfast in the Jordaan features gorgeous mosaics by local artist/owner Greet Weitenberg. For more tips about finding romance + sights in my adopted city, check out UnClogged in Amsterdam: An American Expat Plumbs Holland (www.uncloggedblog.com). Happy travels!

1. Amphora Bed and Breakfast (hotel)

Sabine from Amsterdam

Try art'otel amsterdamwhich is across Central Station, so in the middle of it all, which also means lots of tourists. This hotel is trendy and full of art. Also has a nice bar where also locals hang out.

Or try Hotel V at Nesplein (http://hotelvnesplein.nl/nl/). Also right in the centre. Their restaurant (The Lobby) is one of my favourites. I usually don't like hotelrestaurants, but this one is something different! 

Please bear in mind that Amsterdam isn't that big, so you can pretty much walk everywhere even though you are NOT staying near Dam Square. 

Good luck! 

1. art'otel amsterdam (attraction)

John from Carlsbad (California)

My wife and I just returned from Amsterdam, and we really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Estherea.  It is not inexpensive, but the rooms are great and have every amenity, the location is excellent, and it has a real Amsterdam feel.

1. Hotel Estherea (hotel)