Nurit
Israel

Amsterdam

12 hours layover in Amsterdam- what to do?

I have a 12 hours connection in Amsterdam (9am- 9pm) and it will be my first time there.
What are some of the must see/do/eat during that time and what is the best way to get there?

John from Carlsbad (California)

Train travel from Schiphol Airport to Centraal Station, Amsterdam in the center of Amsterdam is cheap and takes about 15 minutes.  I believe you can leave your bags in a storage locker at the airport.  From the station, you can walk to many sights or take a tram to ones a little further away.  Walking along the canals is my favorite activity in Amsterdam, especially in The Jordaan area.  There are interesting shops, cozy Brown Cafes, and restaurants everywhere.  You could spend the whole day if you want to.

I agree that the Van Gogh Museum is a terrific place to spend a couple hours, especially if you are a Van Gogh fan.  The Rijk is very large, but they have a very good self guided tour of the highlights that takes about 1.5 hours and the paintings are stunning.

Have a good trip.

1. Centraal Station, Amsterdam (attraction)
  2. Jordaan (attraction)
  3. Van Gogh Museum (attraction)
  4. Rijk (attraction)

Vikalp from New Delhi

Hello Nurit,

Amsterdam is famous for a lot of partying. If you are interested in these then head straight to the areas around Red Light District. It is not far from the railway station. You can fetch a map at the station or at your staying location.

If you want to explore the Cafe culture you can visit cafes like The Bulldog and Baba situated near Dam Square.

Amsterdam is the city of Museums, you can visit Museumplein where the iconic symbol of Amsterdam "I am Amsterdam" is located. Just go there and you will find many museums lined up for exploring including the Famous Van Gogh Museum.

You can also chill by the side of any canal passing through the streets of Amsterdam.

You can try to eat Poffertjes and Bitterballen, these are the favorite time pass snacks of Amsterdam.

I hope you find this info useful.

1. Red Light District (attraction)
  2. The Bulldog (attraction)
  3. Baba (attraction)
  4. Museumplein (attraction)
  5. Van Gogh Museum (attraction)

John

Not much time!I'd go to an Indonesian place and get Rijstafeell( don't know how to spell it) and try to hit the Van Gogh Museum-I think the Rijk Museum would be a bit overwhelming.

1. Van Gogh Museum (attraction)

Sabine from Amsterdam

Hi Nurit, 

As you don't have a lot of time I would recommend to skip museums, as you could easily spend a whole day in one of the great museums Amsterdam has to offer (also definitely skip tourist traps like Heineken Experience). Instead, go to central station (15 min by train), rent a bike and bike around the city. 

Amsterdam isn't that big, but as you have little time, with a bike you are everywhere just a bit faster. 

First go to Haarlemmerstraatwith a lot of nice local shops and move alpong to my favourite canal Brouwersgracht. Contnue on to Noordermarktand the rest of the Jordaanneigboorhoud. Just zigzag your way through the canals and little streets. There is a coffeebar, cafe or nice lunchroon on every corner. Move on to Negen Straatjes which are the side streets of a part of the canals, full of boutiques, shops and cafes. Also visit neigboorhoud De Pijp. Near Albert CuypmarktSarphatiparkand Gerard Doustraat. This is also a great area. Then... just toss your map and bike around! Find your way back to Central Station by asking locals, they will be happy to help! 

1. Haarlemmerstraat (attraction)
  2. Brouwersgracht (attraction)
  3. Noordermarkt (attraction)
  4. Jordaan (attraction)
  5. Negen Straatjes (attraction)
  6. Albert Cuypmarkt (attraction)
  7. Sarphatipark (attraction)
  8. Gerard Doustraat (attraction)

Sally from San Francisco

1. Anne Frank House (attraction)
  2. Heineken Experience (attraction)
  3. Canal House (restaurant)

Ondrej from Amsterdam

Hello Nurit,

Jordaan is definitely must see neighberhood, but it might be little bit touristic, especially around Prinsengracht.

If you're into alternative stuff I'd recommend NDSM-werf. It's industrial area being transformed into alternative art place. Checkout Pllek or Noorderlicht to have a nice meal and drink. Stichting Kinetisch Noord is a warehouse with a workrooms and studios, usually opened for public. Closeby you can find Café de Ceuvel, which is restaurant and workplace builded from old houseboats. And don't forget to take path walk between these houseboats.

I hope you'll enjoy Amsterdam!

1. Jordaan (attraction)
  2. Prinsengracht (attraction)
  3. NDSM-werf (attraction)
  4. Pllek (restaurant)
  5. Noorderlicht (attraction)
  6. Stichting Kinetisch Noord (attraction)
  7. Café de Ceuvel (attraction)

Isabella from Sao Paulo

Hi Nurit. Be sure to go to the Van Gogh Museum. It's absolutely beautiful and even the audiotour is worth it. I'd also do the Heineken Experience. Great drinks and lots of fun.

1. Van Gogh Museum (attraction)
  2. Heineken Experience (attraction)

Andrés from Montevideo

Visit some pubs. Enjoy some awesome beer. take a walk through the Red Light District. Buy a ticket to take a ferry through the canals.

And if you can, try to join one of the "walking tours" groups. they meet in Dam squere. They are free. You are only welcome to leave a tip after. You can check their web to see at what time they meet.
I strongly recomend this.

1. Red Light District (attraction)

Dana from Amsterdam

Having only 12 hours to see something, I wouldn't recommend to go to a museum. Instead, have a walk on the canals and in the Jordaan neighbourhood (http://amsterdamian.com/see/the-city/spring-time-in-the-jordaan/). Go see Dam Square, Rembrandt Square  and Museumplein. Chill out on the grass at Museumplein, if the weather is good.

1. Jordaan (attraction)
  2. Dam Square (attraction)
  3. Museumplein (attraction)