Tsubi
Hong Kong

Tsubi from Hong Kong asked

recommended itinerary for 5 nights in Amalfi Coast?

Hi! we are newly weds planning a 5 night trip to Amalfi Coast in July this year. We'll be traveling from Rome and need to return to Rome at the end of the trip.

Our goal would be to eat amazing pizza in Naples, see Pompeii, visit any wineries in the area, boat cruise in Capri and experience what the Amalfi coast/Positano has to offer. 

As for getting around, we will likely hire a private driver. 

Could anyone suggest how many days we should allocate for each area in this itinerary and where we should base out of? I have read some suggestions about basing in Sorrento and doing day trips to Positano/Capri and then others saying to stay overnight in Capri and Positano/Praiano...

also any other food/wine/winery/boat company recommendations would be much appreciated! 

Thank you!

Amalfi Coast   Naples   Sorrento   Capri

Desirae

We spent 3 days in Amalfi and could definitely have stayed longer! We rented an apartment in Agerola for only $60 a night (we were there in March)! http://m.agriturismo.it/en/farmhouse/campania/salerno/JHolidayHouse-0380624/index.html 

It is exactly as it looks in the pictures! The views are gorgeous and is centrally located. If you'd rather be in a bed and breakfast I highly recommend Serafina!http://www.agriturismoserafina.it/index_eng.asp 

Even if you don't stay at Serafina, it was THE BEST meal we had during our 16 day trip through Italy!  

We also loved spending the day at Paestum. And on the way back to Rome we spent the day at Pompeii. Plan a lot of time to see Pompeii, it is HUGE!  

If you do stay at J Holiday House, there is a long stairway behind the apartment that takes you to the Furore Cove. We took an afternoon and followed the stairs. It was a long, beautiful, but scenic walk. Once we were done hanging out in the cover, we hiked up to the road and hitchhiked for a ride back to our apartment. If you'd like to see pictures of our trip, they are public albums on my Facebook! -Desirae Tira

Tsubi
thank you Desirae! appreciate the tip! I was thinking about doing a brief stop at Pompeii during transit by car from Rome.. around 2 hours. Do you think that is enough?

Desirae
We thought it would be a quick stop too. I think we spent 4 hours there! You could try to do a quick tour though. We downloaded the free Rick Steves audio tour of the site instead of paying for their audio tour. Try doing a Google Earth search of Pompeii to see if you think you could cover it in 2 hours. Have a great trip!

Tsubi
appreciate the tip! will keep that in mind :)

1. Amalfi (city)
  2. Agerola (city)
  3. Italy (country)
  4. Paestum (attraction)
  6. Pompeii (city)
  7. Pompeii (city)
  8. Furore Cove (attraction)
Victoria from Punta Cana

Hello. In May 2012 I spent 6 days in the Amalfi Coast. I Stayed in a small town called Salerno. I stayed at a bed & breakfast called Salerno Centro Salerno is less expensive than Sorrento and still pretty easy to visit everything.

Highlights of the trip for me where:

Positano

Ravello

Capri - Although the ferry was a bit rough, the views are incredible and totally worth it but is very touristy and super expensive. This is one place where I would bring a Picnic .

Salerno, was small but I had an amazing time there. I went to see La Traviata at the towns opera house and had an AMAZING dinner at Ristorante Cicirinella

Tsubi
thank you for the advice! I'll have a look into Salerno and will definitely check out the restaurant :)

1. Amalfi Coast (region)
  2. Salerno Centro (hotel)
  3. Salerno (city)
  4. Sorrento (city)
  5. Positano (city)
  6. Ravello (city)
  7. Capri (city)
  8. Ristorante Cicirinella (restaurant)
Steve

I would stay in Sorrentofor the entire time, and use the ferries to Naples and Capriand the Blue Bus to Positanoand the other cities of central Amalfi Coast. You can use the Circumvesuviana train to visit Pompeii.

For tour, ferry and bus information read the great article at Rick Steves: Naples, Sorrento, and the Amalfi Coast .

Tsubi
Thanks a lot Steve. Yes, seems like basing out of Sorrento is the best way to get around. Seems Naples is a little sketchy... Do you think there is any loss if we scratched it off the itinerary completely? Appreciate the tip! Will check out the article too. cheers.

Steve
I would certainly visit Naples for the National Archaeological Museum and some great pizza (where it was born) at Antica Pizzeria Da Michele Via Cesare Sersale, 1/3 Napoli. Watch this video for more tips https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/video/tv-show/naples-and-pompeii and read http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rick-steves/naples-just-do-it_b_3398691.html

Tsubi
awesome! I'll check it out. thank you

JR
great answer steve! And Tsubi, great follow up answer with what you decided to do. Have a great trip! I have a few days in July in Italy and might take my family to the area, based in part in large part to these question and answers. thanks!

1. Sorrento (city)
  2. Naples (city)
  3. Capri (city)
  4. Positano (city)
  5. Amalfi Coast (region)
  6. Pompeii (city)
Tsubi from Hong Kong

Hi guys, just an update on what we decided to do...

We found private car transfers from Fiumicino Airport to Positano which includes a 2 hour stop over at Pompeii ruins followed by a wine tasting lunch at a winery in Vesuvioarea overlooking the volcano. 

We also discovered there is a direct ferry from Positano to Capri, Italy that only runs during the summer months, so we will stay in Ravello 1 night, Positano 2 nights, take the direct ferry to Capri and stay for 2 nights (rent a sailing boat, relax) and then take the direct ferry to Naples which links us back to Rome via train.

thanks for all your help guys! I am very excited :)

So glad to hear you had a good time! :)

Danielle
Which service did you use for your private transfer ??

Emily
What was the car service you used?

1. Fiumicino Airport (attraction)
  2. Positano (city)
  3. Pompeii (city)
  4. Vesuvio (attraction)
  5. Positano (city)
  6. Capri, Italy (attraction)
  7. Ravello (city)
  8. Positano (city)
  9. Capri (city)
  10. Naples (city)