Tsubi
Hong Kong

Amalfi Coast, Naples, Sorrento, Capri

recommended itinerary for 5 nights in Amalfi Coast?

Hi! we are newly weds planning a 5 night trip to Amalfi Coast in July this year. We'll be traveling from Rome and need to return to Rome at the end of the trip.

Our goal would be to eat amazing pizza in Naples, see Pompeii, visit any wineries in the area, boat cruise in Capri and experience what the Amalfi coast/Positano has to offer. 

As for getting around, we will likely hire a private driver. 

Could anyone suggest how many days we should allocate for each area in this itinerary and where we should base out of? I have read some suggestions about basing in Sorrento and doing day trips to Positano/Capri and then others saying to stay overnight in Capri and Positano/Praiano...

also any other food/wine/winery/boat company recommendations would be much appreciated! 

Thank you!

Desirae

We spent 3 days in Amalfi and could definitely have stayed longer! We rented an apartment in Agerola for only $60 a night (we were there in March)! http://m.agriturismo.it/en/farmhouse/campania/salerno/JHolidayHouse-0380624/index.html 

It is exactly as it looks in the pictures! The views are gorgeous and is centrally located. If you'd rather be in a bed and breakfast I highly recommend Serafina!http://www.agriturismoserafina.it/index_eng.asp 

Even if you don't stay at Serafina, it was THE BEST meal we had during our 16 day trip through Italy!  

We also loved spending the day at Paestum. And on the way back to Rome we spent the day at Pompeii. Plan a lot of time to see Pompeii, it is HUGE!  

If you do stay at J Holiday House, there is a long stairway behind the apartment that takes you to the Furore Cove. We took an afternoon and followed the stairs. It was a long, beautiful, but scenic walk. Once we were done hanging out in the cover, we hiked up to the road and hitchhiked for a ride back to our apartment. If you'd like to see pictures of our trip, they are public albums on my Facebook! -Desirae Tira

1. Amalfi (city)
  2. Agerola (city)
  3. Italy (country)
  4. Paestum (attraction)
  6. Pompeii (city)
  7. Furore Cove (attraction)

Victoria from Punta Cana

Hello. In May 2012 I spent 6 days in the Amalfi Coast. I Stayed in a small town called Salerno. I stayed at a bed & breakfast called Salerno Centro Salerno is less expensive than Sorrento and still pretty easy to visit everything.

Highlights of the trip for me where:

Positano

Ravello

Capri - Although the ferry was a bit rough, the views are incredible and totally worth it but is very touristy and super expensive. This is one place where I would bring a Picnic .

Salerno, was small but I had an amazing time there. I went to see La Traviata at the towns opera house and had an AMAZING dinner at Ristorante Cicirinella

1. Amalfi Coast (region)
  2. Salerno Centro (hotel)
  3. Salerno (city)
  4. Sorrento (city)
  5. Positano (city)
  6. Ravello (city)
  7. Capri (city)
  8. Ristorante Cicirinella (restaurant)

Steve

I would stay in Sorrentofor the entire time, and use the ferries to Naples and Capriand the Blue Bus to Positanoand the other cities of central Amalfi Coast. You can use the Circumvesuviana train to visit Pompeii.

For tour, ferry and bus information read the great article at Rick Steves: Naples, Sorrento, and the Amalfi Coast .

1. Sorrento (city)
  2. Naples (city)
  3. Capri (city)
  4. Positano (city)
  5. Amalfi Coast (region)
  6. Pompeii (city)

Tsubi from Hong Kong

Hi guys, just an update on what we decided to do...

We found private car transfers from Fiumicino Airport to Positano which includes a 2 hour stop over at Pompeii ruins followed by a wine tasting lunch at a winery in Vesuvioarea overlooking the volcano. 

We also discovered there is a direct ferry from Positano to Capri, Italy that only runs during the summer months, so we will stay in Ravello 1 night, Positano 2 nights, take the direct ferry to Capri and stay for 2 nights (rent a sailing boat, relax) and then take the direct ferry to Naples which links us back to Rome via train.

thanks for all your help guys! I am very excited :)

1. Fiumicino Airport (attraction)
  2. Positano (city)
  3. Pompeii (city)
  4. Vesuvio (attraction)
  5. Capri, Italy (attraction)
  6. Ravello (city)
  7. Capri (city)
  8. Naples (city)