Jeff

Amalfi Coast

What is the best time of year to visit the Amalfi Coast?

Trying to avoid the crowded and over-touristy time of year for an Amalfi Coast visit but do not want to visit in the winter months. What is the best time of year to avoid the crowds but still have places be open and decent weather? I was in Amalfi area during the 1st week of October last year and was astounded at the number of tourists at that time of year.

I don't think there is a time when things are not open.  I was there on the 2nd of April and it was very nice weather - not too hot.  The only disadvantage I can see to going in the actual winter is the possibility that the hotel rooms may be cold and damp.  And there may be fog

Mary from Leicester
I'm afraid the Amalfi Coast has long been extremely popular, initially with Italians themselves and now with (it often seems) the whole world....and pretty-much year-round. If you hope to avoid crowds (though not other visitors) the winter months are the only feasible option.
For exactly that reason I've visited three times in February and once in late October, basing myself in Sorrento. Imo Sorrento makes the best base out of season because it's bigger than AmalfiPositano and, whilst a still a very visitor-popular town, it's not quite so tourist-focused. It's an ordinary working town so the vast majority of its shops, restaurants, hotels etc remain open year-round. Accessing the Amalfi Coast settlements from Sorrento is easy using the regular, pretty frequent bus service.
I haven't encountered any 'sights' (e.g. archaeology, history, museums and churches) being closed though opening hours of course change during the winter months. Ferries from Sorrento to Capri (wonderful walking out of season) and Naples run all year round.
The weather on all my visits has been perfectly ok. No hot sunshine, of course, but plenty of warm sunshine and clear days. I had only one day of chilly rain during all my visits. Imo the biggest downside of visiting in the late Autumn & winter months is the shorter hours of daylight rather than the weather.
So I suggest you look at the last week of October (though it's still shoulder season) through to early April, depending on the Easter date. Avoid the weeks leading up to and after Christmas and New Year and the weeks before and after Easter: all are a sort of mini-high-season, with visitor numbers and hotel rates to match. 

1. Amalfi Coast (region)
  2. Sorrento (attraction)
  3. Amalfi (city)
  4. Positano (attraction)

Amanda from Atlanta
I really enjoyed being in Sorrento and the Amalfi coast in late November. I wore a long sleeve shirt and sometimes a light jacket. Positano was pretty deserted at that time of year, although I still found stores and restaurants open. As Mary mentioned, all major sights were open (Pompeii, museums, etc.), and we used Sorrento as our home base to explore the region. Everything is open in Sorrento in November, but it's not overly touristy. If you stay on the east side of Sorrento, you can avoid the touristy area. This is the apartment where we stayed on two separate trips (one trip in Apt A, one trip in Apt. B). By far the best Airbnb experience we have had due to the host! My husband and daughter and I absolutely LOVE Sorrento--it's the town we talk about retiring to one day. 
We hired a driver to take us along the Amalfi Coast, to Paestum (Greek temples and mozzarella di bufala). His name is Nunzio and we highly recommend him.  Check out his website.
Have a great trip!