Alexandria (Virginia)

What's the best neighborhood in Alexandria (Virginia) for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Alexandria (Virginia) and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Alexandria (Virginia) is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

David from Alexandria, Virginia

Hotel Monaco Alexandria on King street - as close to the action as you can get.. King street is where all the restaurants and boutique shops are located (or a block or two off). I recommend the farmer's market at Alexandria City Hall on Saturday's (9 - 11; a block down king from monaco)... Landini Brothers Restaurant restaurant on King is my family's favorite (a bit pricey, but worth it)... Recommend just meandering through the neighborhood (south of king), and walking along the waterfront. 

1. Hotel Monaco Alexandria (hotel)
  2. Alexandria City Hall (attraction)
  3. Landini Brothers Restaurant (restaurant)

Melissa from Old Town Alexandria

Hi there, I've lived in Alexandria (Virginia) for the last 4 years. I would suggest Old Town Alexandria, it's walkable to great shops and restaurants as well as the Metro, which can easily take you in to DC. Hotel Monaco Alexandria is in the heart of King Street. Other properties that are on King Street, Hilton Alexandria Old Town, the Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria Old Town and the Hilton Garden Inn Alexandria Old Town, All within walking distance of Metro and King street. 

Heather from Memphis

Monaco Alexandria is an awesome hotel that I highly recommend. It's located in historic Old Town Alexandria. Definitely a cool place to be! http://www.monaco-alexandria.com

https://www.facebook.com/MonacoAlexandria