Kathy asked

With only two days to travel by car where can I go south of Albuquerque?

I will be flying into Albuquerque 1/4/22 and leaving 1/8/22. However, I will be visiting in ABQ 1/4-1/5. Can leave on the road trip early 1/5. Must be back 1/7, late is okay, to catch flight 1/8. I'd really like to go far south. Gila, White Sands, or other...thoughts and ideas are welcome! Thanks!

Albuquerque (New Mexico)

Matt from Allentown, Pennsylvania
I have driven from ABQ south to Las Cruces, then west to Tucson, but it was many years ago. All that I recall is the blinding sun, searing heat and vast wastelands. If it were me, I'd go north from Albuquerque. You can reach Santa Fe (New Mexico) in about an hour, and Taos in just over two. With so much to see and do in that region (including some excellent skiing), you could easily fill two days without a lot of driving. But maybe someone who lives there can give you advice on areas to the south.

Kathy
We used to live in Albuquerque for a year and a half. We always went north when we lived there. I thought it'd be nice to head south for a change. Plus it will be a bit warmer in the south.

1. Las Cruces (city)
  2. Tucson (city)
  3. Santa Fe (New Mexico) (city)
  4. Taos (city)
Mary from Vienna (Virginia)
White Sands National Park is beautiful. Good roads, ranger station at the park.

1. White Sands National Park (travel agency)