Yili
Santa Monica

Yili from Santa Monica asked

What is there to do in Albuquerque besides the hot air balloon festival?

My husband and and I are going to the hot air balloon festival in Albuquerque, New Mexico in Oct. What are some cool things to do besides the festival itself? (Eg. good restaurants and night time options). Thanks!

Albuquerque   New Mexico

Caleb

Hi Yili, Albuquerque doesn't have that much to offer in terms of NightLife, but what we do have is Effex Night Club (gay, but great music, and a lot of people like to hang there Thur/Fri/Sat) Monte Vista, Imbibe, Zinc Wine Bar & Bistro and Two Fools Tavern are located in Nob Hill (off Central near the University of New Mexico) While you're in ABQ, you might as well visit Santa Fe during the day and check out the shopping, Santa Fe Plaza, Canyon Road Galleries (a road with 75+ galleries), and delicious eateries ( Blue Corn Cafe And Brewery, The Shed, and Tomasita's are good places to start). Also, if you're into Breaking Bad, it was filmed here, so google Breaking Bad tours and you'll find many of the filming locations.

Carina
I have a friend moving to New Mexico this summer, and I am going to recommend all of these places- sounds awesome!

1. Effex Night Club (attraction)
  2. Monte Vista (attraction)
  3. Imbibe (attraction)
  4. Zinc Wine Bar & Bistro (restaurant)
  5. Two Fools Tavern (attraction)
  6. Nob Hill (attraction)
  7. Santa Fe Plaza (attraction)
  8. Canyon Road Galleries (attraction)
  9. Blue Corn Cafe And Brewery (restaurant)
  10. The Shed (restaurant)
  11. Tomasita's (restaurant)
Don from Albuquerque

On most days at the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta you will be free to explore after about 9:00AM unless you plan to come back for the evening events. There are plenty of great restaurants and day trips worth looking into. Here are some excellent local day trips that are about an hour away or so from Albuquerque:

Very Large Array

These massive radio-telescopes are located on a massive flat plateau that is like being in your own sci-fi adventure. Incredible to see!

Santa Fe

This is a no-brainer. Visit Santa Fe! The best way is to use the Rail Runner commuter train from the Alvarado Transportation Center (ATC).

MaryAnn from Albuquerque

Yili, 

I JUST got this post and am so sorry that it's too late -Balloon Fiesta is over :( I hope you found the tram, Sandiago's Mexican Grill, Frontier Restaurant, Vernon's Hidden Valley Steakhouse and sadly a lot of the places I would have suggested for day trips and stuff were closed due to our illustrious government! I hope you made it to Santa Fe for the day and otherwise had a wonderful time. Some of the best weather we've ever had for Balloon Fiesta in the past 10 years! Just bummed that the notification came in nearly two weeks after.