Daphne

Albania

Suggestions for must sees or places that I should stop at through my travel

I will be travelling 1 week / 10 days with my boyfriend, few people know about Albania, It seems strange but I believe the coast must be beautiful and no mass tourism. 

the aim is to be as close as possible to the locals.

Emily from Los Angeles

Albania is awesome, and I agree with the others - getting close to the locals won't be a problem!

Traveling around Albania is a bit...bumpy, let's say. So if you are prone to motion-sickness (as I am), it won't be the most fun, and pad your journey with an extra travel day just in case. But Albania is totally worth it!

One of the highlights for me was the Lake Komani Ferry from Shkoder to Bajram Curri. Getting stuck unexpectedly for a night in Bajram Curri was half the fun!  But the boat trip itself was beautiful and a great way to see Albania from a different angle.

Tirana is cool, but the cities I really enjoyed were Berat, Sarande, and Himare. Staying at Himara Hostel was the best! Great hosts and beautiful beach hikes!

The beaches are amazing - sparkling blue-green waters, etc. - but don't expect to avoid the trash piles that can be found pretty much everywhere in Albania...and you'll probably also see dogs and cows rummaging through them. Albania is strange and beautiful and fun!  You'll have a great time!

1. Albania (attraction)
  2. Lake Komani Ferry (attraction)
  3. Shkoder (city)
  4. Bajram Curri (attraction)
  5. Tirana (city)
  6. Berat (attraction)
  7. Sarande (city)
  8. Himare (city)
  9. Himara Hostel (hotel)

I would suggest places like Tirana Gjirokaster Berat Shkoder and Vlorë.

And yes, Albania is generally very untouristy and the albanians generally very open and friendly towards foreign visitors.

It's by far the most welcoming country I have visited in Europe.

1. Tirana (city)
  2. Gjirokaster (city)
  3. Berat (attraction)
  4. Shkoder (city)
  5. Vlorë (attraction)